Wifi camera

Reaction score
Hey folks new here, I have a 10x14 building that my kids sell vegetables from and had a Wyze V3 but didnt like the fact that if it lost connection with wifi it wouldn't record to the cloud or get any notifications. If I wanted to look something that didnt record it was set to record continuously so I would have to remove the sd card and look manually though every file. I was looking at a Reolink E1 Pro, argus 3 pro or a lorex w261aqc, w282aa. I dont want to get anything from aliexpress I hate that site. But I want to be able to be viewable on my phone, not sure if it needs to be continuous but the wyze had horrible motion detection and if it wasn't continually recording id miss most things not necessary. I dont need it to be outdoor but the building isn't heated and I live in the north eastern part of canada.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wifi is problematic for surveillance cameras because they are always streaming and passing data. And the data demands go up with motion and then you lose signal. A lost packet and it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to use it through a wifi router. At the very least it can slow down your system.

And you are currently experiencing this...

Unlike Netflix and other streaming services that buffer a movie, these cameras do not buffer up part of the video, so drop outs are frequent. You would be amazed how much streaming services buffer - don't believe me, start watching something and unplug your router and watch how much longer you can watch NetFlix before it freezes - mine goes 45 seconds. Now do the same with a wifi camera and it is fairly instantaneous (within the latency of the stream itself)...

The same issue applies if it is hard-wired trying to send all this non-buffer video stream through a router. Most consumer grade wifi routers are not designed to pass the constant video stream data of cameras, and since they do not buffer, you get these issues.

Reolinks will not be a step up.

You need to either hardwire it or spend money in a nanostation that can provide wireless transmission of video. A wifi camera does not exist that doesn't experience dropouts and other issues you are experiencing.

Dahua, Amcrest, Lorex, Hikvision all have the capability to view on your phone. Now it comes down to your budget.

For cheap, many of us have found this to be a great contender. Some will use the wifi if it is close to their router, but you can hardwire it as well.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Wifi is problematic for surveillance cameras because they are always streaming and passing data. And the data demands go up with motion and then you lose signal. A lost packet and it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to use it through a wifi router. At the very least it can slow down your system.

And you are currently experiencing this...

Unlike Netflix and other streaming services that buffer a movie, these cameras do not buffer up part of the video, so drop outs are frequent. You would be amazed how much streaming services buffer - don't believe me, start watching something and unplug your router and watch how much longer you can watch NetFlix before it freezes - mine goes 45 seconds. Now do the same with a wifi camera and it is fairly instantaneous (within the latency of the stream itself)...

The same issue applies if it is hard-wired trying to send all this non-buffer video stream through a router. Most consumer grade wifi routers are not designed to pass the constant video stream data of cameras, and since they do not buffer, you get these issues.

Reolinks will not be a step up.

You need to either hardwire it or spend money in a nanostation that can provide wireless transmission of video. A wifi camera does not exist that doesn't experience dropouts and other issues you are experiencing.

Dahua, Amcrest, Lorex, Hikvision all have the capability to view on your phone. Now it comes down to your budget.

For cheap, many of us have found this to be a great contender. Some will use the wifi if it is close to their router, but you can hardwire it as well.

Thank you, I dont know much about cameras and my needs aren't too crazy. its more of a deterrent for people that dont want to pay. I was thinking of the Lorex but found the Reolink but it seems that folks have had issues with them.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah there is a video here and on that thread where Reolink completely missed him pulling his car into the garage. So if it missed a car, it would probably miss someone not paying.

Lorex, Amcrest, and few others are Dahua OEM, so you can't go wrong with those. They are suited more for the average consumer than a Dahua (and come with a customer service number to call, etc.), so the price is cheaper and the build quality isn't as good, but it is a better start than what you have been using!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not a fan of wifi cameras, they cause nothing but problems for networks and relatability. One of the major advantage of some of the Amcrest cameras are that they support the 5GHZ band for wifi. There are more channels and less interference of this band than the over used 2.4 GHZ band. IF there is direct line of sight between the wifi receiver and the camera. 5 GHZ band does not work well when going through multiple walls.

Reaction score
Not a fan of wifi cameras, they cause nothing but problems for networks and relatability. One of the major advantage of some of the Amcrest cameras are that they support the 5GHZ band for wifi. There are more channels and less interference of this band than the over used 2.4 GHZ band. IF there is direct line of sight between the wifi receiver and the camera. 5 GHZ band does not work well when going through multiple walls.
the only reason for wifi is the building is at the end of my driveway and its 70' from my house

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wifi at that distance will be problematic - having to go through an outside wall of the house, that distance, and then whatever the building is made of at the end of the driveway - it will be dropout city.

Go with the powerline adapter or nanostation. Or run ethernet along the edge of the driveway.

Reaction score
thanks, this could solve my issue. never knew about these, i do have power out there and i do get wifi signal but this is the way ill go. thank you