which setting causes 5241E-Z12E blur with even slow motion?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^As do many of us.

Maybe he is used to the cheap cams that won't run at that even if you tell it to lol.

But no freaking way we get night plates if not a fast shutter lol

carteriii

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Let's see if I can get this math roughly correct. I believe 1 mile per hour = 1.46667 feet per second = 17.6 inches per second

Using that info, and assume a vehicle moving even 30 miles per hour, that's 528 inches in one second. A shutter speed of 1/2000th would capture up to roughly a quarter of an inch (0.264) of movement if that movement was perfectly perpendicular to the view of the camera, which of course it won't be or we couldn't see the license plate.

So now I think we take the sine of the angle of your camera to the license plate, and multiply that by 0.26 inches (someone please correct me if I'm using the wrong trig function). Sine of 20 degrees is 0.34, and sine of 30 degrees is 0.5, so it's not unreasonable that a plate could move 0.08 to 0.13 inches in 1/2000th of a second. A speed of 45mph would obviously increase the movement by 50% compared to 30mph.

My comment above was that even at 1/2000th of a second, that might equate to 1 pixel. So take 0.13 inches for 30mph (or ~0.2 inches for 45mph) and map that to pixels using the camera resolution & size of the plate in the image. That's obviously different in every situation.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Assuming you're running Cat 6. It's effective range is 328 ft. I'm assuming this was implied from this post.

Camara networking issues, packets are not the only thing you can drop.

Video from your post #15 reminded me of a problem I had with a HFW5241E-Z12E.
Hikvision NVR manual said check this box and you can run ethernet cable to 1000 feet
Cool, checked box and roughly 750 feet of UV solid copper cat 6 cable later had a little bullet camara
grabbing overview pics, followed about a week later by freshly shipped Z12E from Andy.
Dialed Z12E in and was rewarded with nice license plate pics at about 170 feet from camara
Aghhh... daytime only, nighttime infrared no matter what i did stationary plates could read, however any moment and blurring ensued.
Shutter speed, DNR, WDR if it was adjustable i tried it, I failed.
Love this site, have learned so much from other members, but i finally gave up on this problem.
Added more cameras, at about a dozen cameras the 16 port Hikvision started dropping frames.
Wanting more bandwidth/processing power got a NVR rated to 64 channels.
they don't put 64 ports on the back of these things, so now I needed a POE switch.
I was burning thru boxes of cable making runs 100's of feet long.
Figured why not spread out a few unmanaged switches
now all runs are under 300 feet.
Short time later viewing video I noticed the Z12E night recordings were no longer blurred.
Z12E is now about 60 feet from a switch.
I believe the 750 foot network cable run dropped POE little enough that colour
still worked, yet power drop to much for infrared to work correctly.

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
have you tried 60fps or 30fps?

also try setting I-frame to 2x whatever the frame rate you are using