Which NVR to buy

Phillip Walker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all, looking for some advice which NVR to go for next....

I currently have the Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2/8P but its being returned ASAP due to buggy firmware since Feb this year causing reboots every few hours, and the Mac based browser plugin does not function at all.

Im looking for another decent NVR which can be used with a mix of Hikvision and Trendnet ONVIF Cams.

Can anyone recommend?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua's work w/my mac, but im not running the latest and greatest OSX so dunno if that's still the case.

TIM521

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, looking for some advice which NVR to go for next....

I currently have the Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2/8P but its being returned ASAP due to buggy firmware since Feb this year causing reboots every few hours, and the Mac based browser plugin does not function at all.

Im looking for another decent NVR which can be used with a mix of Hikvision and Trendnet ONVIF Cams.

Can anyone recommend?
You have asked the 65,000 dollar question. Not sure I have seen a good answer on this one

Phillip Walker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You have asked the 65,000 dollar question. Not sure I have seen a good answer on this one
I used to use a PC with motion detect recording only, running iSpy for several years, fairly happily.

The only problem was I had to run the cameras at 720p, and the CPU was hitting 100% a lot of the time (Quad Core i5), so recording frame rate got dropped dramatically to keep itself stable, several recordings were as good as useless. To go to a more powerful system (not sure i7 would be much improvement, so left Xeons) was much more expensive than a seemingly good NVR.

Phillip Walker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
DS 7608NI I2 if going Hik go for the I2 series.
Ive got that, but the latest firmware releases make the unit have an abnormal shutdown every few hours, losing valuable footage.... Downgrade to the stable firmwares, lose a lot of features.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I used to use a PC with motion detect recording only, running iSpy for several years, fairly happily.

The only problem was I had to run the cameras at 720p, and the CPU was hitting 100% a lot of the time (Quad Core i5), so recording frame rate got dropped dramatically to keep itself stable, several recordings were as good as useless. To go to a more powerful system (not sure i7 would be much improvement, so left Xeons) was much more expensive than a seemingly good NVR.
First, when discussing intel core processors you need to be specific since there is a HUGE variation between models. Use blue iris, Enable direct to disc record and hardware acceleration, you will be able to run your cams on a 300 dollar haswell/skylake i5.
Milestone essentials will be free for 8 cams starting tomorrow as well.

Phillip Walker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, sorry I should know better working in IT... :p. Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz ...

I think I might give Milestone essentials a go then tomorrow :)

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, sorry I should know better working in IT... :p. Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz ...

I think I might give Milestone essentials a go then tomorrow :)
You will have no problem with milestone and that processor. What cameras are you using?

Phillip Walker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You will have no problem with milestone and that processor. What cameras are you using?
Im running 2x Hikvision 4 MegaPixel IP PoE IP66 Bullet Camera with 80m IR Night Vision DS-2CD2T42WD-I8(4MM)
and 3x Trendnet ip310pi

I do have another 2x Trendnets spare, but have put off putting them up until I have a solid recording solution in place.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Im running 2x Hikvision 4 MegaPixel IP PoE IP66 Bullet Camera with 80m IR Night Vision DS-2CD2T42WD-I8(4MM)
and 3x Trendnet ip310pi

I do have another 2x Trendnets spare, but have put off putting them up until I have a solid recording solution in place.
That will be just fine..