Which Client Does Not Need to Be Run 24/7

Reaction score
A week ago I came into possession of an unused Reolink RLC520 and decided to have a play. This is the first time I have ever done anything security camera-wise and I have no prior experience whatsoever so still learning.

Do Armcrest, Dahua or Hikvision have a client program (free) which will run on Windows (11 in my case) that does not require an NVR or for my laptop to be left turned on 24/7? (Whether or not there is also an associated mobile phone app does not matter).

The Reolink is actually doing everything I personally need; however, I wouldn't mind changing to one of the more preferred manufacturers and stop using the Reolink. My setup is: Reolink Client installed on laptop with FTP activated and writing to a drive plugged in to a DDWRT router with a CRON job setup to delete any recordings older than 30 days. Any recordings are played back via Reolink Client on my laptop or via Kodi installed on a Firestick. This is a 'home use' scenario and will only ever be running two/four cameras. The RLC520 is currently connected to my router via TP Link passthrough powerline adapters.

Thanks & Ta

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
yes for Amcrest Dahua they have a Windows App, maybe more than one but i have this one installed for my own goofing around purposes...
1715496811944.png

Reaction score
Thanks for that and I have installed it and looks fine but don't have a Dahua at the moment to test properly.

I can see plenty of posts about recording to a network drive but can't seem to find anything specifically to say whether things will still record when my laptop is powered off. Do you know the answer by any chance?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Some cameras have SD card slots which could record motion events on the camera itself, which may possibly be played back in the software. Although I cannot confirm it will. I knowit does in Blue Iris. and I beleive it does on the phone app "Amcrest View pro", and the Dahua smart pss Phone app.
for a network drive you would have to use some software that interfaces with the camera to stream the video. not sure what people are using.

spuls

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What you look for is local recording on sdcard. So far most Dahua, Hikvision,... have this feature. You don´t need an app, you can just look on the footage via browser.

If you´re unsure, just check the camera features and look for the "sdcard" slot.