which camera would you use and does anyone have a starting templet of settings for the IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E?

Reaction score
I have three of the IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E cameras, two are facing south which is the only way out of our street unless your car can float. I would like to use one of the south facing cameras to capture license plates and the other to catch a good video of the vehicle. so would you use this camera?

LPRM 2021-03-20 09.47.40.988 AM.jpg

or this camera?

LPR204 2021-03-20 09.48.09.490 AM.jpg

the speed dome you see is being temperamental and will not respond to control from within BI and I have tried numerous times to reset and recovery it, so now I am waiting on a replacement/upgrade camera.

so I am seeking wisdom from the great camera elders

thank you very much

mike

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here are my settings to start for the Z12 and zoom is your friend - you want not much more than just the vehicle in the frame for LPR and at night it will be a completely black image except for when a car goes by and all you will see are headlights/tailights and the plate:

1616256980975.png

And @samplenhold put together a great summary that he used to get his going:

Reaction score
Here are my settings to start for the Z12 and zoom is your friend - you want not much more than just the vehicle in the frame for LPR and at night it will be a completely black image except for when a car goes by and all you will see are headlights/tailights and the plate:

View attachment 85056

And @samplenhold put together a great summary that he used to get his going:

would I be correct in using the closer camera for capturing the license plate and the further away camera for the shot of the vehicle?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Assuming both are 5241Z-12 The key is whichever one can;

a- get the tightest shot on the plate capture area
b- with the best angle. The more straight on the better

For instance as mentioned, that second shot you would want zoomed in to maybe 1/2 the area its covering now

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^

The angles look fairly similar and I think you could get a plate either way, but zoom in more. I would try this as starters - remember the only purpose for the LPR is to get plates - if anything else can be obtained it is a bonus. You would rather get 99% of the plates and not see much vehicle than 75% of the plates by can see a lot more:

1616259130437.png

You won't get every plate as some are dirty or rusty or temporary paper plates, but the tighter the zoom the better chance you have of getting the most plates.

Reaction score
High angle is not your friend. How much zoom is the bottom cam set at? If you can look further down the street but zoom in more, you will cut down on the angle. The only real way is to test it.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
If the trees on the right are interfering with a good look far afield then I would suggest swapping the two cameras so that the LPR camera can see beyond those trees. That might improve the angle, and if the zoom is sufficient then better captures.