Which camera for hall mode

Mario P

n3wb
Reaction score
What do you guys use for hall cameras? Regular ones mounted sideways?

I have older, analog, recessed, analog, Enforcer camera. It works well enough but I would like to see if I can get it swapped for IP model.
1693220115334.png 1693221574109.png

What have you used in residential settings for a hall that's 4-5' wide and 40-50' long?
Camera is currently installed at 56" AFF

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm very impressed with the new Reolink doorbell. I have 2 of them streaming RTMP to Blue Iris VMS. They are also RTSP-capable and will stream to VLC.
The lens, with slight fisheye, is suitable for a narrow hallway, IMO. There's a POE version and a Wi-Fi version. The Wi-Fi version can use Ethernet for data but powered by 24VDC. Both have mics and speakers for 2-way voice via the Reolink app. Blue Iris and VLC receive the mic audio OK.

The challenge, however, would be mounting it flush or behind a wall, which would hide the button purposely. If the existing cam is in a 2" x 3" switch box, the Reolink might be fitted into that space IF the box was removed. :idk:

Last edited:

Mario P

n3wb
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mario P

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm very impressed with the new Reolink doorbell. I have 2 of them streaming RTMP to Blue Iris VMS. They are also RTSP-capable and will stream to VLC.
The lens, with slight fisheye, is suitable for a narrow hallway, IMO. There's a POE version and a Wi-Fi version. The Wi-Fi version can use Ethernet for data but powered by 24VDC. Both have mics and speakers for 2-way voice via the Reolink app. Blue Iris and VLC receive the mic audio OK.

The challenge, however, would be mounting it flush or behind a wall, which would hide the button purposely. If the existing cam is in a 2" x 3" switch box, the Reolink might be fitted into that space IF the box was removed. :idk:

Thanks. As you said, mounting might be a challenge.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you. I couldn't find this model anywhere in the States or even on Ali. Only the L4 which is a pinhole lens version.
I ended up ordering this guy from Amazon View attachment 171012
In Amazon "questions and answers" when searching with the term "RTSP" reveals use with Blue Iris and RTSP URL's for use with VLC, etc.
Search for "ONVIF" reveals vendor claiming ONVIF compliance. It seems it will work out great for your application.

However, I'd keep an eye on how hot it runs inside the wall. I ran a similar TOP-201 inside a bluebird box for 2 years and it would get so hot inside that box (in the sun) you couldn't touch it but I didn't worry...the worse it could do was burn down a bird house out in the middle of my 2 acre yard. But in your case it's inside a wall in a building....just sayin'.... :cool:

Mario P

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you ever done something like this on the outside? I have a dog run that's prewired for it at about 4' mark.
I would probably like to go with outdoor rated unit for weather protection, but I don't know if I should just get one of my cameras and put it in it's side.
I know BI can do image rotation and everything else, but I also want to feed it into regular Dahua NVR -- at least for now.

1693228492473.png

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you. I couldn't find this model anywhere in the States or even on Ali. Only the L4 which is a pinhole lens version.
I ended up ordering this guy from Amazon View attachment 171012
Per the product description, this camera is rated to operate up to 60°C. I would not mount this inside a box or wall cavity with no ventilation because it is not designed for such purpose and is likely to fail electronically or worse....start a fire. They "hope you can understand" after your house burns down and your insurance company denies your claim.

1693230946147.png