Which Brand of Home Security Cam

frjeff

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
newb here from MI.

I have a Nest thermostat and thus use the Nest App.
I have a ROKU TV And they have app or TV to monitor.

Both of these have doorbell and interior cams.
Should I purchase one of these, or are there better options that will not break the bank?

Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is your goal - to see who is at the door and where pets are at or as surveillance to see who broke in?

frjeff

n3wb
Reaction score
Pretty much who is at the door and what the mutt is up to.
Seeing who broke in may be a bit late, no?

Newb to all of this…

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In that case then consider staying with ecosystem you have. Just recognize the limitations as it applies to surveillance. And there is probably a monthly fee.

These are the types of images you will get with consumer and cloud based options. These are fine for checking on the mutt, but not so good for helping to identify the perp.

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm going to admit that I tried a Google Nest system in this property we re-took possession of. I needed something to put in place "that day", with off-site storage, and bandwidth considerate of an LTE hotspot.

It actually didn't suck too badly, though bear in mind that it was quite expensive . One of the exterior cams I bought was a powered floodlight. It could be motion triggered or left on, and with the amount of light it chucked out, the camera images were quite good... even with fast motion.

The interior/exterior battery backed eyeball cams offered an equally good image under decent lighting, but they were pretty pathetic in actual night-time conditions. There are no settings to address the shortcomings. They really need permanent power, as the recharge is relatively slow. If you have lighting, they might have some merit. I would not recommend the battery cams unpowered.

The WiFi didn't have much reach before things got flakey. They have a very wide field of view, which negatively affects image detail. The subscription is expensive, and you really need the top tier.

Anyway, I pulled that shit out as soon as I could install some 5442s

Reaction score
I'm going to admit that I tried a Google Nest system in this property we re-took possession of. I needed something to put in place "that day", with off-site storage, and bandwidth considerate of an LTE hotspot.

It actually didn't suck too badly, though bear in mind that it was quite expensive . One of the exterior cams I bought was a powered floodlight. It could be motion triggered or left on, and with the amount of light it chucked out, the camera images were quite good... even with fast motion.

The interior/exterior battery backed eyeball cams offered an equally good image under decent lighting, but they were pretty pathetic in actual night-time conditions. There are no settings to address the shortcomings. They really need permanent power, as the recharge is relatively slow. If you have lighting, they might have some merit. I would not recommend the battery cams unpowered.
The WiFi didn't have much reach before things got flakey. They have a very wide field of view, which negatively affects image detail. The subscription is expensive, and you really need the top tier.

Anyway, I pulled that shit out as soon as I could install some 5442s
I really trust the Google Nest system in this regard.