Which Amcrest newer cameras have web interface and HTTP API?

yggdrasil

n3wb
Reaction score
I purchased over 100 Amcrest cams in the past. All with the web interface, full ONVIF, Blue Iris support.

For my home, all the newer Amcrest I purchased last year are on the Smart Home line. I was very disappointed, not having the web interface, while you can still seem to configure some stuff with their Windows software, these new cameras rely on the Android Smart Home App. This is just horrible. Firstly, I don't want to be forced to use my Android tablet or phone to configure each camera. I want to manage them from my laptop, either Linux or Windows is fine.

Removing the web interface was a mistake, I don't expose them to the Internet, now being able to manage all of them in a centralized software like its Windows one is of course great, in particular if you need to introduce changes to several cameras at once, but the web interface was still great for regular task per camera. The Smart Home app is very limited, and the most horrible part is that it relies on being connected to the Internet.

This does not work locally. For example, in the same cameras, if I hit the PTZ button on the Smart Home app, it takes 5 seconds to move to one direction. Directly on Blue Iris, the Windows software or even their old app (which is way better) Amcrest Security the movement on a PTZ camera is instantly. This means the Smart Home app is sending everything through the Internet and back. The latency is huge. It makes it completely unstable, even for a home user, you don't expect the camera to react in seconds. The same is true for every action not just PTZ, like turning the light on, or speaker. Everything takes forever. Just try fast clicking, and it will start to get stuck over and over again, I managed to even crash the app that day. The other apps obviously are sending the commands on your local network, reason why it reacts instantly like it should.

Did I forget to mention the Internet part? My cameras (and yours should as well) be in a separated network or fire walled out of the Internet. PLEASE do not connect internet cameras to the Internet, even at home, unless you want your Internet connection to be part of a botnet or people roaming around your home network. You should seriously never connect any IoT device online, it's not safe, and it will never be because vendors don't patch and support their devices for years to come (there is no money in it for them...) When the camera is new, you might receive 1 or 2 updates, but if you plan to leave them connect for years, you are asking for troubles...

These new Amcrest cameras also seem to have removed some Onvif features, and they certainly don't seem to have the HTTP API like the old ones either. Amcrest had a nice documentation on the API and the cameras had SNMP and many features I used.

This is shocking, in a world where everyone is now being able to buy great home routers, switches, have home NAS, Plex servers and home assistant. People expect more than ever to have all those features the old cameras had. It's impressive how many features are gone if you compare the old models to the newer ones.

I understand, seriously, Amcrest wants to you sell their cloud and subscriptions. And that is fine, but that stuff should be optional. If your service is great, people will purchase those add-ons, even I would. It's a different thing when you are forcing customers, with vendor lock or removing features, like they don't allow FTP or local network any more even when the cameras support it because they want you to use their cloud...

I would not mind paying a higher price, maybe a Pro series with all the old features separated from the Smart Home line? Hardware wise the new cameras seem so better in terms of features and hardware, but I can't stand the software and all the things they removed. I'm seriously considering just purchasing old cameras or switching entirely for my camera brand. Old cameras don't support h.265 either, just h.264

Is there a list of newer cameras that are fully ONVIF, Blue Iris or still have the Rest API HTTP interface? If not, what are the best or newest older cameras that came with this? Or if they are not producing them anymore, I'm considering switching brands entirely.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many of us go with trusted member @EMPIRETECANDY, who sells Dahua OEM international models via Amazon or his website or direct DM. As such, they are all ONVIF, compatible with BI, and generally folllow the same API.

You probably know this, but Amcrest is also Dahua OEM but usually built with cheaper components and catering towards the consumer that likes the cloud services and pretty apps.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

yggdrasil

n3wb
Reaction score
Many of us go with trusted member @EMPIRETECANDY, who sells Dahua OEM international models via Amazon or his website or direct DM. As such, they are all ONVIF, compatible with BI, and generally folllow the same API.

You probably know this, but Amcrest is also Dahua OEM but usually built with cheaper components and catering towards the consumer that likes the cloud services and pretty apps.

I'm aware they are Dahua, I think most brands are either Dahua or HikVision, but at least it's a Texas-based company (correct me if I'm wrong) so I assume they do all the quality tests and put their own software on it (for security reasons).

If they are not, and it comes just from China as everything else, and they slap their logo and brand on top, I guess there is no point in buying them at all. It's also comfortable to just hit checkout at Amazon and have all the documentation and links available when I need them. I assumed Amcrest does at least something on their camera (software?) but maybe I'm wrong.

Are there any non-Chinese cameras that are fully Blue Iris/Home Assistant or have a proper open API or software?

Because I suspect we don't have open-source firmware cameras. I know there are 2 or 3 brands, but they are expensive, like $500+ per camera, I see them at airports or government buildings, I think it's called Axis. Not something I can afford now. And even if I could, I don't want to use their proprietary software, I want to have the freedom to use whatever I want. Those corporate cameras probably don't even work with something homemade like Blue Iris and require their expensive software, just guessing because maybe they do.

If it's Blue Iris today or something else in the future, I would like to be able to pick what I use. In the end, this is also a hobby project I like to tinker around. I'm not a fan of vendor lock since I was burned so many times over the years with other electronics.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Axis does work with BI, but you are right they are expensive. They are also NDAA compliant.

But recognizing from your other thread that you don't give cameras internet access, then you know/recognize that the China based cameras are ok in a home setting since they can't call home.

As I mentioned above, many of us feel like the Dahua OEM Andy sells represents the best overall quality in terms of price and performance day and night. They are on ideal MP/sensor ratio's that most of the Amcrest are not, so they perform way better than the consumer Dahua OEM models.

I, like many here, have tried most brands, and Andy's international models have been the best overall for me and many here.

yggdrasil

n3wb
Reaction score
Axis does work with BI, but you are right they are expensive. They are also NDAA compliant.

But recognizing from your other thread that you don't give cameras internet access, then you know/recognize that the China based cameras are ok in a home setting since they can't call home.

As I mentioned above, many of us feel like the Dahua OEM Andy sells represents the best overall quality in terms of price and performance day and night. They are on ideal MP/sensor ratio's that most of the Amcrest are not, so they perform way better than the consumer Dahua OEM models.

I, like many here, have tried most brands, and Andy's international models have been the best overall for me and many here.
Thank you!

I will take a look at them then for my next PoE purchases instead of Amcrest for Blue Iris. Who takes care of the firmware or software on those cameras? Or they all come from Dahua regardless of the brand? I don't mind whether it's from the command line or SSH, as long as I can enable or disable things, like SNMP, FTP, PTZ positions, etc.

Are there any other brands compliant with NDAA besides Axis?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The base firmware comes from the manufacturer. Some re-branders simply have the logo switched to theirs and call it good, while others may have the color of the firmware changed and call it good, and some will attempt to customize the base firmware.

I use command line, curl, and BI to send API commands to my cameras.

As I mentioned, Andy's cameras are Dahua OEM equipment sold under the names Loryta and Empiretech. He also supplies them to the ipcamtalk store.

Some of my cameras I have bought from Andy from his Amazon store come as Dahua cams in Dahua boxes with Dahua logos, and some are not logo'd - I think it depends on how many cameras Andy buys if he gets them with the Dahua Logo or not. But regardless, they are Dahua units. If you get a unit that has Dahua on it, then the camera GUI will say Dahua; otherwise it will simply say IP Camera but looks identical except without the logo. Some of his cameras may come with EmpireTech stamped on them as well.

As long you you buy from the vendor EmpireTech or Loryta on Amazon or his website or via DM, they are Andy cams and Dahua OEM.

His cameras and NVRs are international models and many of them are not available through Dahua USA authorized dealers, but his cameras and NVRs are usually better than what you can find from a USA authorized dealer.

You can update the firmware on Andy's cameras and NVRs from the Dahua website, thus proving they are real Dahua. But you will find that the firmware we get from him is actually better and more recent than what is on the Dahua website because many members here provide feedback to Andy and then Dahua makes modifications to the firmware and sends back to him and then he sends out to his customers. These have been great improvements that Dahua doesn't even update their firmware and add to their website. So many of us are running a newer firmware than those that purchase Dahua cameras through professional installers. Smart IR on the 5442 series is one such improvement. Autotracking on the 49225 and 49425 PTZ is another. We got the next version of AI SMD 3.0 prior to anyone else as well.

Look at the threads here where members are actually testing firmware and improving it for Dahua - find a Dahua dealer with that type of relationship that Andy has with Dahua - I don't think you will find it. Look at the Dahua 4k camera on the 1/1.2" sensor as an example - Dahua provides cameras to Andy to sell before Dahua even made it available and look at all the improvements being made to the firmware from input from customers right here on this site. And the kicker is, we are not Dahua's target market - it is the professional installers...

You do have to be careful with some rebranded cameras purchased from other vendors as they are either fake Dahua cameras or are cameras that are for the Chinese region but have been hacked into English but then are not able to be updated or they will brick. Buying from a reputable source is key to make sure that doesn't happen.

It says you are in the USA, so if you go to an authorized USA Dealer, you will find that you will be spending anywhere from double to five times the amount for a Dahua camera than you can buy from Andy. And as I mentioned, most of the options are not as good as the international selections.

There are many NDAA compliant cameras, but keep in mind many of them are simply exploiting the origin of the cameras and are providing inferior cameras at marked up prices. If you care about performance, you will want to consider going with a camera from China since you recognize the value of isolating cameras from the internet.

But the top NDAA compliant cameras are Axis, Bosch, ACTi, Verkada, Digital Watchdog, and another vendor here Nelly's

yggdrasil

n3wb
Reaction score
Sounds great, I don't actually care about the interface logo/brand but the software in terms of functionality, and you answered all the questions. So if Amcrest cameras are the same Dahua, they are just disabling features deliberately on their cameras that are actually enabled in other Dahua cameras like the ones from Andy as you mentioned?

I don't mind paying more, I mean not like $500 per camera because I can't, and even if I could, I did research some Axis and for that price they seem to be less featured which is sad. But the Amcrest cameras are already very cheap if you ask me, and I would not mind paying double if I'm actually free of the vendor lock and get even better cameras and software. I'm already researching them. They do seem a bit more expensive, but still something I can afford, assuming these are quality devices that will last a few years.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The biggest difference you will see that you are paying for is the larger sensor and better processing and thus better features. Most of the consumer based cameras try to shove too many MP on too small a sensor.

Shoving 8MP on a 1/2.8" sensor designed for 2MP will perform poorly at night. The 8MP on the same size sensor as the 2MP will need over 4 times the amount of light.

1708401610609.png

See this thread that I put together that lists the most commonly recommended cameras here based on distance to IDENTIFY and represent the best overall value in terms of price and performance.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is a recent example someone posted with an 8MP on the 1/2.8" sensor versus 8MP on the proper sized sensor (1/1.2") - which image looks better to you?

1696541548403.png

1696541571013.png

Of more importance is that the top picture is default settings, so a horribly slow shutter of maybe 1/12 so any motion would be a blur. The 2nd picture is a 1/100 shutter and will get a clean capture. The faster the shutter speed, the more light that is needed. That bottom picture at 1/100 shutter is impressive. If the top camera was set to a 1/100 shutter it would be a very dark image.

Almost any camera can do well in the daytime with enough light, even cameras that are 8MP put on a sensor designed for 2MP. But keep in mind that usually the processor and other stuff are still designed around 2MP, so the camera struggles trying to keep up with 8MP worth of data.

yggdrasil

n3wb
Reaction score
The biggest difference you will see that you are paying for is the larger sensor and better processing and thus better features. Most of the consumer based cameras try to shove too many MP on too small a sensor.

Shoving 8MP on a 1/2.8" sensor designed for 2MP will perform poorly at night. The 8MP on the same size sensor as the 2MP will need over 4 times the amount of light.

View attachment 186981

See this thread that I put together that lists the most commonly recommended cameras here based on distance to IDENTIFY and represent the best overall value in terms of price and performance.

I wish I knew all this before. I would have never purchased those Amcrest cams. Likewise, I was already suspicious of all the features for such a low price, and they keep dropping prices for models over the years.

I guess the phrase 'you get what you pay for' is absolutely true. In fact, I actually tried to search for more expensive Amcrest models because the price was too low for all the things they advertise, most that I don't even care. I don't want all those AI features because I don't want to require cloud services that can increase in price or malfunction in the future, just the hardware and implement my own AI and recording with Blue Iris and Code Assistant (installed, but I yet have to play with it). I guess these Empire cameras are perfect for me because it's just the hardware and I put everything else.

On the positive side, all those models that are still on my Amazon cart will be removed. I will stick to the EmpireTech models for future purchases.

I'm surprised people are not hacking the Amcrest models to replace the firmware, as some did, for example with the Amazon Fires that run Android.

I was not unhappy with Amcrest until I realized the purchases I made for my home are very, but very different cameras than the ones I purchased in the past for someone I installed them. All of them are part of the Smart Home line, with everything crippled. Things I expected from older models. I did some research but since reviews said it works with Blue Iris I just assumed ok, they are the same as before....

I guess that is one way to lose customers... Similar to what Ubiquity is doing to their devices, they did the same to their switches. Edge line is no more since it allows command line access, and they want to lock people into their Unify services web GUI so they can move to a subscription in the future. I guess the same will be true for the Edge routers eventually. If someone looks up at their newer products like IP Cameras or IP Phones they are all proprietary, a very different company that started its Wireless products and Networking switches/routers on their beginnings using open-source software, which they still do but put behind a pay wall now.

The story is always the same over the years with tech companies. A company makes a great product, it gathers a huge market with people that like to hack or tamper around on their own or OEMs, or just DIY people. They then grow and start to remove everything because they realize vendor lock-in is the only way to make money. They just pull the whole 'Apple' approach and then lose customers and someone else replaces them, and the story starts all over again... And this is not going well for Apple either because the EU is now forcing them to open up.

This is so true in software and hardware. It's like a repeating story with every vendor I worked over the years. I don't mind subscriptions, but not everything has to be subscription-based in today's world, and not everything has to be cloud-based (just someone else's computers in the end...).

Cameras are something very sensitive and private, it's probably one of the most important digital data someone can store, it's your private home and family that are being recorded both in video and audio. Internet-connected devices for this sort of data is insanity. Same reason I'm using Home Assistant, I don't want a remote service telling me when I can turn off a light or open a door. And latency is a thing people don't even bother to research. Anything that is local will respond instantly, it's just how networks and the Internet works, latency is a big deal when it comes to IoT devices. I would store recordings on the cloud for offsite backup storage, sure, but I would use my own servers and be sure to encrypt the files before leaving my network.

I knew these forums from years back when I did my camera research since it always comes up in the results, but never bothered to register until recently. I hope more people would research all this information when deciding to set up a home security system because there is no reason why at home we should have less privacy and security than in a business.

yggdrasil

n3wb
Reaction score
Here is a recent example someone posted with an 8MP on the 1/2.8" sensor versus 8MP on the proper sized sensor (1/1.2") - which image looks better to you?

1696541548403.png

1696541571013.png

Of more importance is that the top picture is default settings, so a horribly slow shutter of maybe 1/12 so any motion would be a blur. The 2nd picture is a 1/100 shutter and will get a clean capture. The faster the shutter speed, the more light that is needed. That bottom picture at 1/100 shutter is impressive. If the top camera was set to a 1/100 shutter it would be a very dark image.

Almost any camera can do well in the daytime with enough light, even cameras that are 8MP put on a sensor designed for 2MP. But keep in mind that usually the processor and other stuff are still designed around 2MP, so the camera struggles trying to keep up with 8MP worth of data.
That difference is huge! I was not aware of that, that explains a lot now for some of my cameras since I have all different models and the quality is different for every one of them.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I purchased over 100 Amcrest cams in the past. All with the web interface, full ONVIF, Blue Iris support.

For my home, all the newer Amcrest I purchased last year are on the Smart Home line. I was very disappointed, not having the web interface, while you can still seem to configure some stuff with their Windows software, these new cameras rely on the Android Smart Home App. This is just horrible. Firstly, I don't want to be forced to use my Android tablet or phone to configure each camera. I want to manage them from my laptop, either Linux or Windows is fine.

Removing the web interface was a mistake, I don't expose them to the Internet, now being able to manage all of them in a centralized software like its Windows one is of course great, in particular if you need to introduce changes to several cameras at once, but the web interface was still great for regular task per camera. The Smart Home app is very limited, and the most horrible part is that it relies on being connected to the Internet.

This does not work locally. For example, in the same cameras, if I hit the PTZ button on the Smart Home app, it takes 5 seconds to move to one direction. Directly on Blue Iris, the Windows software or even their old app (which is way better) Amcrest Security the movement on a PTZ camera is instantly. This means the Smart Home app is sending everything through the Internet and back. The latency is huge. It makes it completely unstable, even for a home user, you don't expect the camera to react in seconds. The same is true for every action not just PTZ, like turning the light on, or speaker. Everything takes forever. Just try fast clicking, and it will start to get stuck over and over again, I managed to even crash the app that day. The other apps obviously are sending the commands on your local network, reason why it reacts instantly like it should.

Did I forget to mention the Internet part? My cameras (and yours should as well) be in a separated network or fire walled out of the Internet. PLEASE do not connect internet cameras to the Internet, even at home, unless you want your Internet connection to be part of a botnet or people roaming around your home network. You should seriously never connect any IoT device online, it's not safe, and it will never be because vendors don't patch and support their devices for years to come (there is no money in it for them...) When the camera is new, you might receive 1 or 2 updates, but if you plan to leave them connect for years, you are asking for troubles...

These new Amcrest cameras also seem to have removed some Onvif features, and they certainly don't seem to have the HTTP API like the old ones either. Amcrest had a nice documentation on the API and the cameras had SNMP and many features I used.

This is shocking, in a world where everyone is now being able to buy great home routers, switches, have home NAS, Plex servers and home assistant. People expect more than ever to have all those features the old cameras had. It's impressive how many features are gone if you compare the old models to the newer ones.

I understand, seriously, Amcrest wants to you sell their cloud and subscriptions. And that is fine, but that stuff should be optional. If your service is great, people will purchase those add-ons, even I would. It's a different thing when you are forcing customers, with vendor lock or removing features, like they don't allow FTP or local network any more even when the cameras support it because they want you to use their cloud...

I would not mind paying a higher price, maybe a Pro series with all the old features separated from the Smart Home line? Hardware wise the new cameras seem so better in terms of features and hardware, but I can't stand the software and all the things they removed. I'm seriously considering just purchasing old cameras or switching entirely for my camera brand. Old cameras don't support h.265 either, just h.264

Is there a list of newer cameras that are fully ONVIF, Blue Iris or still have the Rest API HTTP interface? If not, what are the best or newest older cameras that came with this? Or if they are not producing them anymore, I'm considering switching brands entirely.
Hi @yggdrasil

What particular Amcrest Models did you get that does not support ONVIF anymore.

Thanks

yggdrasil

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @yggdrasil

What particular Amcrest Models did you get that does not support ONVIF anymore.

Thanks
They do support ONVIF but only for basic stream, I can't get Onvif events, for example in Blue Iris to work, there is no web interface either and the HTTP API seems also removed. The old cameras had SNMP, FTP, and many other features out of the box.

Thankfully, the new Smart series still works with the View Pro app once setup to use them locally without the internet or its own isolated network segment.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think that will happen more and more often will all popular Dahua & HikVision OEM's in the USA...

One year ago (February 2023) FCC blocked ability to register & receive FCC approved mark for any new product from Dahua or HikVision.. Without this You can't sell product (electronics) in the USA...

Brands will switch to other non-chinese OEM camera manufactures for a new products.
They will also need to stop using Dahua / HIK firmware / software with all builtin features..

yggdrasil

n3wb
Reaction score
I think that will happen more and more often will all popular Dahua & HikVision OEM's in the USA...

One year ago (February 2023) FCC blocked ability to register & receive FCC approved mark for any new product from Dahua or HikVision.. Without this You can't sell product (electronics) in the USA...

Brands will switch to other non-chinese OEM camera manufactures for a new products.
They will also need to stop using Dahua / HIK firmware / software with all builtin features..

Isn't that a hardware/equipment prohibition? If yes, they would not be allowed to sell the cameras, regardless of what software features they remove. Locking down the software does not change the fact they are still Dahua or HikVision cameras.

The cameras are still being sold on Amazon and on their site under a gazillion different OEM brands. In my case, I'm complaining they removed software features that are required for them to be usable offline and isolated from the Internet.

Its much worse now than before because you cannot use them offline, and they are actually using a Chinese cloud provider for their app if got this right (I could be wrong). Their Smart Home app looks very similar to those Smart devices that use Tuya which is a Chinese vendor. This is much worse in terms of security and privacy than before. The Android app is similar if not the same provided by Tuya just under the Amcrest brand and logo. This is a huge step back when it comes to security and privacy. The old cameras, you could access the features offline on your own network. Now it sends all to the cloud.

As for the ban, does it affect home use/commercial? I had the impression it's only for federal, government and military use. If it affects everyone, then I'm curious what cameras will be sold in the future because there are basically 2 main manufacturers in the world, those 2 mentioned here.

Can you actually find a camera on Amazon or any store that is not made by Dahua or HikVision?

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Isn't that a hardware/equipment prohibition? If yes, they would not be allowed to sell the cameras, regardless of what software features they remove. Locking down the software does not change the fact they are still Dahua or HikVision cameras.
You don't understand :)
Old HIK/Dahua models received FCC certification before the ban - so they can be sold in the USA...
Problems are with a new one - so probably Amcrest taken a new series from some other manufacture (different that Dahua/HIK)..

The new manufacture probably don't have full featured firmware with all bells and whistles like full ONVIF or web interface..
So You have only minimal integration with some App over cloud or some specific NVR..

Hik/Dahua firmware is property of HIK/Dahua - other manufactures don't have official rights / access to them..

Its much worse now than before because you cannot use them offline, and they are actually using a Chinese cloud provider for their app if got this right (I could be wrong). Their Smart Home app looks very similar to those Smart devices that use Tuya which is a Chinese vendor. This is much worse in terms of security and privacy than before. The Android app is similar if not the same provided by Tuya just under the Amcrest brand and logo. This is a huge step back when it comes to security and privacy. The old cameras, you could access the features offline on your own network. Now it sends all to the cloud.
For now the ban is for a NEW products from specific 4 Chinese manufactures, which received specific accusations from the US government (cyber risk/security, owned by Chinese government, delivering systems for identifying Chinese national minorities like Uyghur)...

There are lot of news publicity about this...

I only repeat what I read..

Can you actually find a camera on Amazon or any store that is not made by Dahua or HikVision?
yes many...
most of the cheap ones with only one specific mobile App over some Chinese cloud and zero other integrations are done by a few much smaller Chinese cctv companies, who produce mostly cheap crap...

Hik/Dahua OEM always have HIK/Dahua firmware.. sometimes is branded (different logo/colors) and with cut some features - but they are easy recognisable..

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The ban does not impact you as a homeowner.