Where to buy HFW5241E-Z12E?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
let me rephrase
is there a similar HikVision camera?
I have got the dahua
now want to try hikvision to compare
Last I checked hikvision didn't go past 45-50mm focal length unless you moved to a PTZ. It is the focal length that makes the Z12E a wanted and valued camera. Nothing special about the rest of it.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
let me rephrase
is there a similar HikVision camera?
I have got the dahua
now want to try hikvision to compare
Looking quickly, I suggest searching the Hikvision website for "deep" or "DeepinView".
There have a number of cameras with an 8-32mm lens which is about half the zoom.

The iDS-2CD8A86G0-XZHSY 1050/4 is interesting, it's a dual sensor camera. It has a wide 4mm lens and a 10-50mm lens. And this one has a 4.7-118mm lens iDS-2CD7A45G0-IZHSY
Both of these are significantly more expensive than the hfw5241e-z12e

richardgohth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Last I checked hikvision didn't go past 45-50mm focal length unless you moved to a PTZ. It is the focal length that makes the Z12E a wanted and valued camera. Nothing special about the rest of it.
Thank you.
Is there a similar HikVision camera if the zoom is disregarded?
More interested in the night image quality; sensor type etc.
Eg. Vivotek has global shutter sony sensor cameras
thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Then it would be any of their 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensors.

But like I said, what makes the z12E special is the large optical zoom.

Without that it is basically any 2MP camera on the 1/2.8" sensor.

And that is old tech.

You need to be looking for 4MP on 1/1.8" sensors and 8MP on 1/1.2" sensors.

Unfortunately, outside of PTZs, there is no varifocal close to the Z12E zoom.

We would love one of them with the zoom of the Z12E.

richardgohth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Then it would be any of their 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensors.

But like I said, what makes the z12E special is the large optical zoom.

Without that it is basically any 2MP camera on the 1/2.8" sensor.
Thank you

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks.
For me, night image quality is the deciding factor for overall anpr.
You realize that unless you have stadium quality light, the image is going to be all black except for the plate:

Keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras. For LPR we need to OPTICALLY zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP 5241-Z12E camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

1711845567761.png

richardgohth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You realize that unless you have stadium quality light, the image is going to be all black except for the plate:

Keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras. For LPR we need to OPTICALLY zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP 5241-Z12E camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

View attachment 191037
Understand.
Using sensor with pixel size of 5.65micron (IMX249) and synchronised NIR illuminator,
it is possible to image speeding vehicles on expressways ( freeways?) for non retro-reflective plates.
Now exploring consumer IP cameras.
Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please post some video or screenshots.

But expressways typically have lights and lots of other vehicles.

Most of us are in subdivisions without any ambient light and thus cannot make out a vehicle

richardgohth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Please post some video or screenshots.

But expressways typically have lights and lots of other vehicles.

Most of us are in subdivisions without any ambient light and thus cannot make out a vehicle
this is on a road, not expressway

Invehicle on road

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^That is pretty cool!

Unfortunately not the situations we have that we have the need for the Z12E.

richardgohth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
^That is pretty cool!

Unfortunately not the situations we have that we have the need for the Z12E.
yes different, we need to cater to all scenarios
the issue with Z12E is at night, can get over exposed or under depending on how (retro) reflective the plates are.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yes different, we need to cater to all scenarios
the issue with Z12E is at night, can get over exposed or under depending on how (retro) reflective the plates are.
Is that a program you wrote or found to do that auto reading? Because I am assuming that isn't done within the camera or you wouldn't be looking at the Z12E?

richardgohth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is that a program you wrote or found to do that auto reading? Because I am assuming that isn't done within the camera or you wouldn't be looking at the Z12E?
its a program we wrote.
done with Basler gige camera with NIR illuminator.