Where Does One Even Begin?

Jeebs

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am very new to the security camera world. I've spent hours reading these forums and other websites. While they are great for someone that has a pretty good handle on the basics, I am finding that for the complete and total newbie the information is a bit over my head. An example: I am reading a lot here about the Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2/8P has an issue where the new firmware causes email issues. That sort of information and group troubleshooting/trial and error is fantastic. However, I'm hunting for very basic information. Is there a sticky somewhere that has information about the benefits of a stand-alone DVR versus a computer based DVR? Can I use a stand-alone DVR with a monitor alone or do I need a PC connected to view remotely? Questions like this.

I'm guessing these are somewhere, and I've tried searching. If there is a sticky somewhere and you have a second, could you direct me there? Also, if you are willing to entertain the most basic of questions regarding surveillance cameras as a whole, point me to that specific forum and I'll happily head that way.

Cheers,

Jeebs