What user account type does Blue Iris need to run under? (and a few oither setup q's)

loglobal

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just received my Optiplex 7040 and am in the process of configuring it for Blue Iris. Does Blue Iris require an Administrator account, or can I set it up under a Standard user account? Note that I am using Windows 10 Professional.

Also wondering...should I omit antivirus from this machine? It will run headless in the IT closet, but it WILL be on the local network / internet. If it's not an issue or is recommended, I will install the standard Sophos Cloud Endpoint Protection software that I use on all computers.

Are there any settings in Windows that I need to change to set up a system optimized for Blue Iris?

loglobal

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Re: What user account type does Blue Iris need to run under? (and a few oither setup

Nobody? I would prefer to install BI on a standard user account, but not if it will cause problems.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: What user account type does Blue Iris need to run under? (and a few oither setup

Hello.

I wouldn't bother with antivirus on a dedicated/headless Blue Iris machine (in fact I would set up Windows Defender rules to exclude Blue Iris's database and recording directories). The risk of the machine being infected while just sitting there, not browsing the web or running suspicious executables, is very low.

You'll want to make sure that Windows doesn't put the system into sleep / hibernate.

Also you may want to disable automatic rebooting to install Windows updates. On the latest Windows 10, this can be tricky. After all other methods failed, I found a way to sort of hack the reboot task to make it not happen.

Essentially you open the Task Scheduler and disable this task:
Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > UpdateOrchestrator > Reboot

Then you make yourself the owner of this file: C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot
And disable inherited permissions to the file (choosing the option to delete inherited permissions)
And finally, set all accounts to have only "Read" and "Read & Execute" permissions (no write permission) for this file.

The full instructions (with pictures) that I got this from are here (see Step 2): https://superuser.com/questions/973009/conclusively-stop-wake-timers-from-waking-windows-10-desktop/973029#973029

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

Oh, and I'm not really sure how to answer the account type question. You should be able to start it no matter what type of user account you've logged in with. In fact you should dig into Blue Iris's startup options and make sure it runs as a background service, that way it will run even before you log in.

logbuilder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Also you may want to disable automatic rebooting to install Windows updates. On the latest Windows 10, this can be tricky. After all other methods failed, I found a way to sort of hack the reboot task to make it not happen.

Essentially you open the Task Scheduler and disable this task:
Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > UpdateOrchestrator > Reboot

Then you make yourself the owner of this file: C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot
And disable inherited permissions to the file (choosing the option to delete inherited permissions)
And finally, set all accounts to have only "Read" and "Read & Execute" permissions (no write permission) for this file.

The full instructions (with pictures) that I got this from are here (see Step 2): Conclusively stop wake timers from waking Windows 10 desktop
I'm sure your way works to disable updates.

Here is another alternative. When windows sees it is using a metered connection, it will not automatically download updates and therefore will not reboot unexpectedly. I actually do run over a metered connection so this was essential to me. Downloading updates would kill my data cap. When you are running on a wifi connection, you can simply set the properties to metered. However, if you are on a wired ethernet connection, there is no UI to set it to metered. The link below tells you how to do it by twiddling with the registry. Works well.

Meter your Ethernet connection in Windows 10

Reaction score
Am I the only one who disables the Windows Update service so Windows can no longer check for or install updates? Task Manager---> open services--> Windows Updates---> Properties---> "Startup type"- Disabled