What should a good computer monitor have for IP cam and NVR use?

Jellyfish

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a new 24-inch computer monitor (I use a laptop now but the free-standing monitor I used to use with my desktop is the old box type with square aspect ratio) and wanted to make sure it would work well with the IP can/NVR system I'd like to install. What features and accessories should I look for? I imagine at least one HDMI port would be recommended and noticed that some of the popular models are not equipped with them. What else should I look for? And has anyone got any recommendations on specific models? Thanks up front. This is a great place to learn.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Jellyfish,
You dont need hdmi if you dont intend to use a monitor with built in speakers and also transmit sound to it. DVI is a digital signal just as good as hdmi and all you would need is a 5 dollar hdmi to dvi cable/adapter....
If you are leaving the monitor on 24/7 then you should consider the power consumption...many monitors of the same size vary +/- 25 watts which can amount to 40+ dollars a year depending on your cost of electricity. Also consider viewing angles, ips screens generally have better viewing angles than cheaper TN panels and if you will be looking at the monitor from an angle, the difference can be dramatic.

Jellyfish

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, fenderman. I appreciate the info, especially the ips tip and power consumption point.