What handles the video format in BI?

Reaction score
Lets say for example that my Dahua camera's can do 1000x1000. If I go into BI and set it to post and record as 500x500, does BI change that in the camera or does the camera send out 1000x1000 and BI cuts it down to 500x500? If BI does the conversion, can you set the camera to output 500x500 in Dahua software?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BI simply takes whatever video is provided to it and will not change the resolution of the camera.

You have a substream1 and a substream2 available in the Dahua cams that offer different resolutions and you best bet would be to use that.

But better yet, you are better off running whatever native resolution that the camera is at.

Any attempt to downrez an image can result in picture quality issues.

Reaction score
I see. I was hoping to go the other way around, like on a reg camera. Sometimes full native picture is nasty and a picture half the size is much crisper. Again, thats on a reg camera, like the iphone and such. Was thinking maybe if the video was dropped down a bit from original (since I dont need a full size 2688 × 1520 all the time, it might have helped identifying things better and easier on the camera/software, which might have helped blurry vision when people are walking and such.

Was just a thought, since I am not sure how these animals differ from cell phone cameras and such.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nope not the way these cameras work.

If you want to see things close up, you need a camera with the optical zoom for the area you want to IDENTIFY. Cropping/digital zooming only works in the movies and on TV.

See this thread: