What do you guys think?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Trust me, i was 110% against kennel training. The trainer we got used to train military dogs, and working dogs when he went civilian and convinced me of it. We were into her for about 2000 in furniture before she was a year old. It straightened her out along with the training.

We never transitioned her out when we moved cause she kept pissing on the carpet(old owners for dog scent?) She had free reign of the house 6 months ago but then started eating remotes... the kennel isn't a cage to her, when it is open she goes in and out of it as she pleases.
Sounds like my sister's dog, he dug a hole through the linoleum and subfloor in her apartment when he was a puppy, chewed up half a dozen remotes, a cell phone, numerous shoes and a few pieces of furniture. He's chewed up kitchen knives that were on the counter and eaten aluminum foil (he learned to open trash cans you step on to open). Dirty socks are one of his favorite things to steal and chew on, they found 6 dirty socks buried in a heat vent 2 years ago, if they had a camera in that room that would have made for some funny footage. Squeakers rarely survive in his toys for more than 20 minutes. One time he killed a squirrel and seemed really confused there wasn't a squeaker inside o_O He also loves all those products like bitter apple that are supposed to keep dogs from chewing on things, same for hot sauce. They put him in a kennel during the day and have done lots of training with mixed results. Now he's loosing his hearing and has arthritis.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like my sister's dog, he dug a hole through the linoleum and subfloor in her apartment when he was a puppy, chewed up half a dozen remotes, a cell phone, numerous shoes and a few pieces of furniture. He's chewed up kitchen knives that were on the counter and eaten aluminum foil (he learned to open trash cans you step on to open). Dirty socks are one of his favorite things to steal and chew on, they found 6 dirty socks buried in a heat vent 2 years ago, if they had a camera in that room that would have made for some funny footage. Squeakers rarely survive in his toys for more than 20 minutes. One time he killed a squirrel and seemed really confused there wasn't a squeaker inside o_O He also loves all those products like bitter apple that are supposed to keep dogs from chewing on things, same for hot sauce. They put him in a kennel during the day and have done lots of training with mixed results. Now he's loosing his hearing and has arthritis.
I got lucky, I got my dog at 3 months, he was fostered before that, I rescued him, all we did was put puppy pads in the house, at first he would go on the carpet, then he started using the pads, then he pretty much potty trained himself to hold it til we got home to go outside, the only thing he chewed was the corners of the cheap coffee table we have when he was a puppy. I do give him these things made out of like dried pig skin though and he loves to chew on them bastards, I have wires literally everywhere though and I thought for sure he'd destroy everything lol.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, we have bought 2 toys that are dog "indestructible "... that is a load of bs... they guarantee it... but they know people aren't gonna waste their time sending it in....

She has been out since this encounter and doing well. Time to get her a buddy soon.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I got lucky, I got my dog at 3 months, he was fostered before that, I rescued him, all we did was put puppy pads in the house, at first he would go on the carpet, then he started using the pads, then he pretty much potty trained himself to hold it til we got home to go outside, the only thing he chewed was the corners of the cheap coffee table we have when he was a puppy. I do give him these things made out of like dried pig skin though and he loves to chew on them bastards, I have wires literally everywhere though and I thought for sure he'd destroy everything lol.
lol forgot about the cords, he chewed up the low voltage side of a few power adapters and seemed to enjoy the mild shock he got

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
She looks fat but is wayyy too lean... she's 85 pounds and her breed should have her at 110lb...most likely a puppy mill runt... but she is my runt!

Attachments

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well good thing you don't live here and let him outside on his own free will...
Quite disappointed with the cameras ability to facial ID coyotes! ;)

On I side note... I feel like I'm lucky as hell with BI, I have had NO problems with motion detection and false positive alerts... Only one I'm still working on is the backyard with tracking.

ne5231.20170311_000000_1.jpg door5231.20170311_000000_1.jpg door5231.20170311_000000_2.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are VERY right. Small animals are on their menu. We have a few coyotes up in rural Alabama, too (I've heard they're pretty much everywhere in the U.S. now) and we have a tiny portion of our 6.5 acres fenced, basically around the back of the house. Our 4 small dogs (2 Chihuahuas plus 2 rescued Chihuahua-Dachshund mix that are mom & son) are allowed to run in and out doggie doors into that section as they want in order to play, do doggie stuff and pottie when we're at home. They are limited to the sunroom when we're not. But if we hear or see a hawk or owl we bring them in immediately or stand out there next to them for pottie breaks. Same routine at night because a coyote can jump a 5 ft. fence, no problem. Although vigilant, we joke about it, saying that '....the coyote might want a little Mexican tonight.'

About 4 years ago I was in my jammies, taking 2 garbage cans to the curb about 6 AM. As I sat down 1 can, turned my back on the road and headed back to the house, I hear behind me 'bleating', like a sheep I turn in time to see a spotted fawn running up the road toward me, crying in distress. As it got closer I saw why... a coyote was close behind. As they both get closer, I realize there's little I can do and the coyote is so intent and he is zeroed in on a meal, he gets within 10 feet still hasn't seen me, or if he did he did not care. Since I was a teen I've had large, skinny hands and have learned how to cup them just right and make a hand clap like you would not believe, like a large firecracker going off. That's all I could do. It frightened the coyote enough that he stopped cold a split second and the fawn ran across my front lawn and into the woods. I see the doe intercept the coyote near the tree line and now all 3 are in the woods. She was trying to defend her young, of course, the coyote was just doing what coyotes do, too. I'm thinking, for crying out loud, the little fawn hasn't even lost its spots and already is having to worry about being eaten.

Anyway, I've always carried my pistol when we head up the road walking the dogs, now it goes with me when I carry out the garbage or go to our roadside mailbox.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, on the nextdoor app, it is literally a weekly post about how someone's dog or cat is getting killed in their yard, or even on a leash with their owner on the walking paths....coyotes and owls have been snatching them up. Like you said, coyote do what they gotta do...

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Chicago coyotes are evil up here they will attack anything they can. Had them one night think they could tag team one of my shepherds the smaller of the two at a park about 2am near a river only issue was she was faster by ALOT, they didn't notice the my all black OLD lady shepherd who is a lot bigger and about 15 years old Come up on them from behind like a freight train until it was two late. One ran off while my two tag teamed the other Sadly it perished in its pursuit of a meal. Had that been Tennessee well I would have let them fight with the coyote since in TN they are year round game since they are considered nuisance animals