What did I miss? - experts

nditiz1

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok I have a machine running Blue Iris
I have a TP Link TL-SF1008P 8 port PoE switch
I have a Dahua DH-IPC-HFW1320S
I researched on these forums building this setup to start with.

I hooked everything up to test the system. PC -> Switch with Cat5 non PoE port. Switch -> Cam with cat5 PoE port. The switch shows lights for the cam connected. When I go into BI, I cannot find the cam via discovery. SO i must be doing something wrong. In working with networks and IP devices I have always been able to manage the devices and see their IPs. I am not familiar with this unmanaged TP Link switch. So I need to find out the IP of the cam first and not discover it? I feel like this shouldn't be that hard.:sad:

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Use a smartphone app like FING to see if the cameras are def connected to the network.

Also, what model cameras are you using?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You need to enter the cameras ip address...

nditiz1

n3wb
Reaction score
I have never used FING. Do I just connect my smartphone via a usb and it will go out on the intranet to find all devices. Just an add of info this is currently a closed network. I am starting to doubt my networking skills, but I don't need anything else to talk between the PC and cam, just this switch?

As far as cam
Dahua DH-IPC-HFW1320S - via ebay it has a ethernet and power cable. not sure why it would have both if it is a PoE cam.

nditiz1

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman - now how to go about finding the cameras IP without a gateway login. Or is there one for this switch that I don't know about.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry I assumed your smartphone would be on the same network otherwise the app won't work.

And there should be a default address for each camera. You'll log into it and then change it to what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nditiz1

n3wb
Reaction score
I think I may have seen my fault. I currently have no router in the mix. My rusty brain has gotten the better of me. I was thinking I could setup a CCTV with just a Switch PC and Cam, then later move it to the web using a router, but I guess the router needs to set the IPs for the devices via DHCP. So now I need a router?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think I may have seen my fault. I currently have no router in the mix. My rusty brain has gotten the better of me. I was thinking I could setup a CCTV with just a Switch PC and Cam, then later move it to the web using a router, but I guess the router needs to set the IPs for the devices via DHCP. So now I need a router?
You can do it without a router...but its a bit more complex...there are some threads that discuss it...you dont need dhcp, since you can simply set the camera to static...for now, change the ip of subnet of your pc to match the camera. so if the defaut ip is 192.168.1.108 set the pc to 192.168.1.1, network settings>ipv4

nditiz1

n3wb
Reaction score
Great! Can you tell me what the default IP is for the Dahua DH-IPC-HFW1320S

nditiz1

n3wb
Reaction score
Awesome! I am now running my Dahua in BI. Thanks for all your help.