What camera in back yard where is no light?

JurajP

n3wb
Reaction score
I would like to buy some hikvision camera, which would be efficient mainly at night. There is no traffic/street light, only forest. I already have DS-2CD2347G2-L, but it is installed, where is some light and I've read, that this camera is not so performant in darkness. So I would rather ask, what hikvision camera would you recommend to me? Something with the IR? Thanks

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Whilst some cameras are marketed as "Night Cameras" in reality you are not going to get the best picture in total darkness, well enough to facial ID and that's what its all about. If the camera is to be installed in the yard, then logic tells me it will have a power point to power it or POE. Either way an external light can be installed in the same location via either powered or you could be creative and try powering one via POE (LED low powered lights mind)

JurajP

n3wb
Reaction score
permanent lightning? I already have there the light, but working only with the switch. Not sure if I want to make some additional light because of camera

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
If you don't have a lot of ambient light, then IR is going to be the best option. IR isn't in the visible spectrum, so even through the camera is creating it's own "light", it's not visible to the human eye. Therefore cameras with IR can "see" in complete darkness.

You have to keep in mind that IR does have it's limitations. It's still a light waveform being emitted by the camera. It is only so powerful and will only "light up" so much. Of course you can add additional IR emitters if you need to add more IR light than the camera can provide. Also, if the IR frequency is 850nm or below the actual IR light will not be visible but the IR emitters in the camera will glow "red" and be visible.

Treatwise

n3wb
Reaction score
You could use a darkfighter camera in IR mode to have some visibility and detect motion, then trigger your floodlight (perhaps wifi/zigbee) to turn on and it may be enough for your camera to switch into colour? I'm looking at a similar solution currently. I'm sure many folks have done similar on the forum with their 5442s or Hiks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind that motion sensor lights can be problematic for cameras, especially the cheapo cameras.

Here is usually what happens when a motion activated light comes on - it just about completely blinds the camera right at the moment of optimal opportunity to get the picture. There are 3 deer in this picture and two of them are lost in the blinded white while the camera's exposure adjusts to the rapid change in available light:

1671768557147.png

We have seen some cheapo cameras take 5-15 seconds to adjust to the light difference - a perp is gone in that time.

There are things you can do to try to minimize that bloom and temporary exposure issue, but most here either run with the light on all night or not at all. You would have to experiment and see if it impedes a clean capture.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is a utility many of us use for Dahua OEM cameras.

JurajP

n3wb
Reaction score
And what about permanent light from led on camera? it seems that IR cameras are better for darkness.

Aries7602

n3wb
Reaction score
I would like to buy some hikvision camera, which would be efficient mainly at night. There is no traffic/street light, only forest. I already have DS-2CD2347G2-L, but it is installed, where is some light and I've read, that this camera is not so performant in darkness. So I would rather ask, what hikvision camera would you recommend to me? Something with the IR? Thanks
I have the same camera as you, I upgraded to an 8MP at the front and moved this to the rear of my property. The problem I found was there wasn't much ambient light. But it wasn't because I couldn't see anything with the camera, the capability to see in quite dark conditions was ok, but a major problem was the detection: line crossing, intrusion detection just stopped working reliably. I had to install a security light and leave it on permanently at night. It's set quite low but because the camera is really good in low light it's plenty of light and now the detection works again. I could have used the built in light on the camera to come on at night but because I like the camera light to come on when it detects an event (as a warning to any potential intruders) I went with a supplemental light source.

But yes I'd go for a darkfighter if you don't want to have to light up that area. That camera you put up in your last post looks like a beast. As for overkill, well that's for you to decide. I wouldn't spend 500 euros on a camera personally unless absolutely necessary.

JurajP

n3wb
Reaction score
Me neither. I just asked :). For backyard I've ordered hikvision 2386 with IR. Today I will test it.