Ways to Provide Easy Yet Secure Access To NVR Over Internet?

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Liberty NVR which I would like to give web access to in the simplest yet sane way (security wise). Basically, this NVR will be shared with people to monitor a project but I don't want to have to provide IT support to these people who dont work for our company to install and manage VPNs if possible. These people are NOT tech savvy. They want to be ableeto view the camera from a desktop computer browser, so the P2P ios/android app that libery provides is not going to cut it, they dont want to watch on a tiny mobile device screen.

I am trying to avoid just opening the ports and putting the NVR on the internet. If there is some exploit of the NVR web interface now or in the future that would be an issue (i worry about being used for ddos as has happened in the past for example) I don't trust these things to be secure.

I have tried the following 2 options so far but with no success.

1) Microsoft Azure Application Proxy: this works but only for the web interface, the RTSP stream does not work aka no video.
2) Cloudflare ZTNA: same problem, no video.

Does anyone know of either a) a way to get these to work which would be ideal or perhaps another way to do this that I havent thought of? I have found random people asking for help on this same topic but never a solution response :/

If I have to do a VPN, I could deal with one that requires zero configuration, if I could just give them an exe and a username and password, that would work.

I could put the NVR on an isolated VLAN and just open it up to the web on non default ports but I really think this is too insecure.

Thank you.

EDIT: BTW, having access to the NVR interface is not a requirement. They just need to be able to see the live video (which is not private). Even if there was a way to rebroadcast the live video under a public link, that would be fine as well. My concern is if someone can turn my NVR into a DDoS node if I make the web interface open to the internet.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I think you've hit on all the possibles.

Wireguard seems to be even easier and faster than OpenVPN. I bought a great little hardware firewall appliance for $350 that has it built in and can do a lot more. Might actually be handy for your project

Bigger models available

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I have a Liberty NVR which I would like to give web access to in the simplest yet sane way (security wise). Basically, this NVR will be shared with people to monitor a project but I don't want to have to provide IT support to these people who dont work for our company to install and manage VPNs if possible. These people are NOT tech savvy. They want to be ableeto view the camera from a desktop computer browser, so the P2P ios/android app that libery provides is not going to cut it, they dont want to watch on a tiny mobile device screen.

I am trying to avoid just opening the ports and putting the NVR on the internet. If there is some exploit of the NVR web interface now or in the future that would be an issue (i worry about being used for ddos as has happened in the past for example) I don't trust these things to be secure.

I have tried the following 2 options so far but with no success.

1) Microsoft Azure Application Proxy: this works but only for the web interface, the RTSP stream does not work aka no video.
2) Cloudflare ZTNA: same problem, no video.

Does anyone know of either a) a way to get these to work which would be ideal or perhaps another way to do this that I havent thought of? I have found random people asking for help on this same topic but never a solution response :/

If I have to do a VPN, I could deal with one that requires zero configuration, if I could just give them an exe and a username and password, that would work.

I could put the NVR on an isolated VLAN and just open it up to the web on non default ports but I really think this is too insecure.

Thank you.

EDIT: BTW, having access to the NVR interface is not a requirement. They just need to be able to see the live video (which is not private). Even if there was a way to rebroadcast the live video under a public link, that would be fine as well. My concern is if someone can turn my NVR into a DDoS node if I make the web interface open to the internet.
Live stream on YouTube?