Wasps...

Reaction score
Last summer I had an issue with wasps (or something similar) making nests in 3 of my turret cameras. One of which was so bad I had to douse the whole camera from a distance with wasp spray. Noticed they're coming back again. They managed to crawl in between whatever tiny gaps were in the mount or dug their way under the mount. Not sure what attracts them to only the cameras - IR light? Heat? They tend to crawl and hang out on the lens and block the view as well as leave some nasty junk behind.
Anyone have some advice on how to deter them?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I fill all cracks and crevices with THIS.
Some claim this works:
Bugs hate the smells associated with repellency, such as lavender, citronella, vinegar, peppermint, and geranium. These oils are considered a natural way of driving away bugs from your home without harming you, your family, and other animals.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure what attracts them to only the cameras - IR light? Heat?
IR attracts bugs which attracts the spiders to build their webs there to catch those bugs.....wasps and mud daubers like the security and protection from weather that snug devices like your cams offer and find a way to get in to build their nests, etc.

Like looney2ns, I use Duct Seal. I used some this past summer in 2 instances; 1 was the rough, uneven surface of brick and a mortar joint behind a Reolink doorbell and the other was to seal better around the openings for Ethernet cables on an outdoor POE extender. Both cases were to discourage wasps and mud daubers from getting in.

reolink_side_1sm.jpg POE_extender8_sm.jpg