wasps & spiders

Whitewater

n3wb
Reaction score
How do I keep wasps and spiders, who seem to love to roam around on my lens, away from the camera? Changing the trigger time won't work as they seem to hang out there for 20 - 30 seconds. Looks like an old horror movie with monsters attacking. Was funny in the beginning, but it getting annoying.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How do I keep wasps and spiders, who seem to love to roam around on my lens, away from the camera? Changing the trigger time won't work as they seem to hang out there for 20 - 30 seconds. Looks like an old horror movie with monsters attacking. Was funny in the beginning, but it getting annoying.
You can try citronella oil or bug spray - you will need to constantly reapply.., ultimately the best solution is using exterior lighting...or add external IR if you camera supports turning off the IR light while leaving the IR cut filter disengaged. I have noticed that cameras like the hikvision 2332 turret and dahua hdw-4300c that have separate IR leds, are less likely to have spiders attack..
Also there is nothing wrong with simply having blue iris record the movement...if you are concerned about alerts, you can create cloned cameras for alerts and increase the threshold after sunset. This way you never miss a recording but dont get false alerts.

Whitewater

n3wb
Reaction score
I appreciate the comment. The IR isn't really the problem. They come a lot during the day. The IR is off at that time. Will try the citronella. They may just be trying to locate a nest and hopefully a little deterrent will get them out of there.

wesalbert

n3wb
Reaction score
Some critters just like the warmth of the camera. I have a lizard that likes to sit on top of one of mine.