Want to connect HIKVision camera over VPN on ISP using CG-NAT

nzoomed

n3wb
Reaction score
What is the best option here?
I have a Teltonika TRB140 and have registered with their RMS VPN service, but still cant get it to connect, is this because CG-NAT is blocking ports that it needs?
Are there any other options I can use? I need to ideally point a domain to its internal IP address and not sure what the best method is.

TIA

nzoomed

n3wb
Reaction score
The specs say that it supports Zerotier; have you considered that?
Dont know much about that, is it just another VPN, or can it allow me to port forward the camera as an external domain without the need to have a VPN client on the other side?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dont know much about that, is it just another VPN, or can it allow me to port forward the camera as an external domain without the need to have a VPN client on the other side?
Actually, not a VPN, more like secure P2P (peer to peer).

Excerpt:

ZeroTier uses a set of globally distributed root servers and network controllers to automatically negotiate P2P connections for your devices and provision your networks.

nzoomed

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually, not a VPN, more like secure P2P (peer to peer).

Excerpt:

ZeroTier uses a set of globally distributed root servers and network controllers to automatically negotiate P2P connections for your devices and provision your networks.

Yeah makes a bit more sense. I've been reading a bit about it today and it appears the main downside is they have a few restrictions on the amount of data that can be used which is not ideal for video streams.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah makes a bit more sense. I've been reading a bit about it today and it appears the main downside is they have a few restrictions on the amount of data that can be used which is not ideal for video streams.
Your 4G provider has no data cap or other restrictions that a video stream could approach?

nzoomed

n3wb
Reaction score
Your 4G provider has no data cap or other restrictions that a video stream could approach?
No, it's zerotier itself that has the data restrictions, I will try and find the link, I was reading about it yesterday.
Data is unlimited, bit there are limits on the amount that can be downloaded in one go.

nzoomed

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry, just realised i got my wires crossed, its cloudflare tunnels that have the data limit, 100MB chunks are the maximum in one go it seems.
Will see how we can go with zerotier