Wanscam IP camera issue

mm5300

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there! I'm a newbie on the site and just started getting into more with the IP cameras I have. Trying to get the most use out of what I've purchased in the past. I know they are a pretty cheap camera, but I've had a couple issues not long after getting it set up. First, during the day, it seems at times that the camera will continuously flicker between dark and light. It flickers back and forth very quickly and it doesn't always happen in the same location. I was able to catch two pictures of the same location when it was flickering that I have attached. Second, at night, it basically looks like there's a cob web over the whole camera. It's mounted where you need a ladder, so I got up there, cleaned the outer dome, inside the dome and the lens, but it stayed exactly the same. I have included a picture of that as well. Could it be something with the IR LEDs? I've updated to the latest firmware, etc, but still no luck. I've tried to contact Wanscam technical support several times, with no response, but I'm guessing that's pretty normal. Thanks for your time and any help would be greatly appreciated. Here's the camera specs:

Model not 100% sure as I haven't gone up on the ladder, but believe it is AJ-COWA-C1D8
Device ID 00B8FB0104A5
Firmware Version 47.37.2.49
Embedded Web UI 18.0.17.20

Attachments

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
78% of people on Amazon rate this camera at 2-star or less (54% at 1-star). It was cheap because it was crap.

Have you tried taking a screenshot in the dark with the dome completely off? That way you will know if it's the dome or if it's software.

No surprise that Wanscam don't reply to technical support, that's the price you pay when you buy cheap rubbish.

My gut instinct, it's a combination of the dome (as this hasn't been designed well, even Hikvision has problems with domes, but not this bad) and a complete POS sensor in the camera.

mm5300

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. I was just hoping to get some use out of it somewhere rather than scrapping it. I was going to replace it where it was and try use it in a different area just for the heck of it. But that's a good point. I haven't tried it with the dome off. I'll give that a try this weekend. Thanks.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Tbh, if dome off fixes it, you could just run it like that until it dies. Better than what you got at the moment!

mm5300

n3wb
Reaction score
That's very true. I'm basically using my cameras for light security and checking on the pets around the house. Is there a camera(s) you would suggest going with? And if so, is there a good online spot to buy them, or just search around?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry, I can help you with this camera, but I can only sympathize because I did own one briefly and I just threw it in the trash, literally. I wouldn't even gift this camera to my worst enemy. I also dealt with the non existent support from them.

As far as which brand of camera to go with I'll give you a hint you can tell by number of posts in this forum. The community is large and the firmware is pretty nice.
If you need PTZ cam then I have one in my signature which is excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry, I can help you with this camera, but I can only sympathize because I did own one briefly and I just threw it in the trash, literally. I wouldn't even gift this camera to my worst enemy. I also dealt with the non existent support from them.

As far as which brand of camera to go with I'll give you a hint you can tell by number of posts in this forum. The community is large and the firmware is pretty nice.
If you need PTZ cam then I have one in my signature which is excellent.
+1 Huisun, it's hard to beat it at the moment.

mm5300

n3wb
Reaction score
I appreciate all the info. I've been looking around for some other options for cameras. I looked at the ones mentioned, and they seem really good price/quality, but based on where some of mine are going, I was trying to use wireless. I didn't see any options for those in wireless. I know it's probably not as good as wired, but would be easier in the short term for me. Any suggestions on a standard wireless IP cam and also a PTZ wireless IP cam?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I appreciate all the info. I've been looking around for some other options for cameras. I looked at the ones mentioned, and they seem really good price/quality, but based on where some of mine are going, I was trying to use wireless. I didn't see any options for those in wireless. I know it's probably not as good as wired, but would be easier in the short term for me. Any suggestions on a standard wireless IP cam and also a PTZ wireless IP cam?
Note that any camera can be made wireless with a cheap 10 dollar wireless bridge...though you are better off using powerline...Ultimately you are better off paying someone to run the cable neatly in the wall, it will save you lots of headaches.
Is there a specific reason you need ptz?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
You can make any cam wireless, even your wireless cam requires power connection anyway, so here is what I've done before:

you can get small poe plug like this, plug one lan cable that will power the cam
http://www.ebay.com/itm/48V-0-5A-Wall-Plug-POE-Injector-Ethernet-Adapter-IP-Phone-Camera-Power-Supply-US-/400942535882?hash=item5d5a0994ca

and in another lan port plug in mini access point something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR702N-Wireless-Repeater-150Mbps/dp/B007PTCFFW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443739636&sr=8-1&keywords=tp+link+mini+router

So that's roughly $25 extra and any POE enabled cam is wireless.

The only disadvantage to this is that you'll have to have two things plugged into your outlet, but the advantages (no longer limited to buying limited options when wifi is needed, with lan power you can have any length for power cable) outweigh this minor nuisance.

I still use this setup with exact same mini router and plug for my traveling baby cam

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mm5300

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll look at those options and see what will work best. I was think PTZ because that's what I have now, and I use it mostly for scanning around the yard to several locations both to keep an eye on things and for the dog. I have seen on here where some members have suggested using a couple fixed cameras instead of the PTZ and that it might be better, both cost and coverage. I'll have to look at that as well. Not sure how it would work out using PTZ with some of the options that klasipca mentions for the mini PTZ or multi fixed. Just trying to get more into this and learning all the best ways. Out of curiosity, is anyone from the forum in the Atlanta area?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll look at those options and see what will work best. I was think PTZ because that's what I have now, and I use it mostly for scanning around the yard to several locations both to keep an eye on things and for the dog. I have seen on here where some members have suggested using a couple fixed cameras instead of the PTZ and that it might be better, both cost and coverage. I'll have to look at that as well. Not sure how it would work out using PTZ with some of the options that klasipca mentions for the mini PTZ or multi fixed. Just trying to get more into this and learning all the best ways. Out of curiosity, is anyone from the forum in the Atlanta area?
I recently upgraded from using fixed turret/domes cameras to 3 PTZ for outside monitoring and I love it. PTZ is allowing for flexible placement and its IRs are really powerful, bottom line no regrets here.

mm5300

n3wb
Reaction score
I really like the mini PTZ that I saw. I noticed in some other posts regarding the camera (mostly the dome PTZ), it means someone to contact for some details and pricing. Seems to be someone that goes through alibaba, Monica I think? Does anyone have any info on contacting? Thanks.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I really like the mini PTZ that I saw. I noticed in some other posts regarding the camera (mostly the dome PTZ), it means someone to contact for some details and pricing. Seems to be someone that goes through alibaba, Monica I think? Does anyone have any info on contacting? Thanks.
I suggest to go through this thread and understand what this camera currently offers and its limitations. The contact and details in the first post, but Monica said they are closed for a week.

http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/5456-Mini-PTZ-camera-impressions!-2015-PTZ-camera-of-the-year

and I made a post how this will look: http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/5856-How-to-make-quot-any-quot-camera-wifi-capable?p=51589#post51589

mm5300

n3wb
Reaction score
Funny enough, it turns out it was the dome over the camera. It works perfect now. Go figure. One question, I'm guessing this is a particular issue with this Wanscam model (or even just an temp issue with some manufacturing glitch), but is this ever a problem with other dome cameras?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I hate to quote myself but "My gut instinct, it's a combination of the dome (as this hasn't been designed well, even Hikvision has problems with domes, but not this bad) and a complete POS sensor in the camera."

It's not the best on others, but it's very rubbish on yours.