VPN help, ExpressVPN, dd-wrt WireGuard IVPN, OpenVPN,

spile

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can recommend Wireguard. I chose over OpenVPN for a number of reasons...

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have used openvpn and WireGuard and both work fine. The WireGuard app isn’t quite as good on the iPhone but it does give you some nice features, like telling it what networks you don’t want to use vpn on. I know you said you’re using your router but you, and others, may consider using a raspberrypi. For ~$40 you can run pivpn (WireGuard or openvpn) and PiHole (ad blocker) on one machine. Then again I love using raspberrypis for everything, like sprinkler and blue iris on my TVs.

Jono83

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are there any speed/bandwidth concerns with OpenVPN? I have a Linksys WRT 1900 AC that I am pretty sure will provide me with OpenVPN. Luckily my home is in an area with Fiber that is pretty inexpensive monthly. I am planning for remote access to cams for live viewing (not admin). Wil OpenVPN become a bottleneck for speed/throughput?

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My Asus router is running dd-wrt

Personally have enjoyed using DD-WRT for many many years. That said today using OpenWRT which is always updated.

I have a tiny 1" X 2"OpenWRT micro router inside of my Alarm panel that I utilize mostly to measure traffic to and from the combo automation / security panel. Another micro router is a configured as a TOR (Onionskin) wireless router.

I would suggest upgrading your hardware router to something a bit more robust and using opensource software like PFSense.

Hardware utilized today is a mini PC with 6 Intel Gb ports. Using 2 Wan ports (failover) and 4 Lan ports.

I utilize IPSec clients on my phone (easy peasey to set up on iOS or Android, tablets or laptops (Windows or Linux). No open ports these days accessing CCTV, Automation and security remotely via IPSec VPN.

VPN Speeds are mostly related to what ISP tier of service I have up or down and bufferbloat.

Last edited:

Jono83

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thx guys, by the way is my Linksys WRT 1900 AC (running DD-WRT) basically past its useful life? I have gotten many years out of this so that would be ok if its time to upgrade. Is it worth the potential hassle to use this as an access point with a new router? Or compatibility issues and its age just might get in the way?

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes.

Here went "a la carte" with my purchased to use on my XFinity account. No rental fees and no combo boxes.
You need more horsepower today for your firewall. Much more than a SOHO router offers (more than DDWRT and OpenWRT).

1 - Currently using an Arris SB-6190 modem - Since the beginning have always purchased my modems. (32x8 Cable Modem - with Gb transport) ` $85 new or $35 refurbished.
2 - POE Wireless - Just switched over from Ubiquiti to Ruckus WAPs - $300 new and $50 refurbished - You can put these anywhere in your house via POE. Optimally in the center of your home wall or ceiling.
3 - PFSense Firewall (6 ports) - whatever you are willing to pay for it.
4 - TP Link managed 24 port switches - close to $100 today.

My back up internet provider is a combo phone, wireless, network T-Mobile service modem.

Jono83

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
likely a dumb question but, given the high security conscious group on ipcamtalk, do people here generally use a VPN service provider for general web access as well as their own VPN tunnel for security devices? Or just the private VPN tunnel?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't at home. A lot of those pay for VPN providers are operating out of third world countries where its the wild west as far as privacy laws are concerned.

I just leave Wireguard turned on on my phone/mobile devices so I always tunnel back to my home when I'm out and about.

pete_c

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
do people here generally use a VPN service provider for general web access

Personally sometimes use PIA or Tor here on my home network on my mostly Linux Laptops and desktops.

their own VPN tunnel for security devices?

Using PFSense IPSec and OpenVPN servers for access to my home network. (on laptops,tablets and phones).