Vince's home automation build - far from done

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First i wanted to make the distribution block myself since its from HDPE and very simple to make but i have not much time so i thought well , ill just order it.

Now i hope this week the concrete floor will be poured on the tubes and another thing is done.
I needed the exact measurements for my building for the floor heating/insulation for the roof etc and i used them to make a drawing in sweet home 3d.
It came out quite nice i must add ;)

Some of the fronts i needed to make for my cove in the living room are made from MDF, i used a hand mill to take out a part that would slide on the edge.
I have made some by hand first and for 10 pieces it took almost 6 or 7 hours and allot of dust.
Friend of mine uses allot of woodworking machines making window frames and well actually everything at his work.
It didn't take 10 minutes in total for 20 pieces .....

Here is a video : Yahoo - login

What are you talking about, well these fronts i mean that prevent you from looking into the led strips

Also bought a PTZ IP cam with a Sony imx178 sensor and it is amazing i must say.
A bit big but works good , i hanged it with some tywraps the same evening on my testing pole haha.

Little update again

I did some bidding on a auction and "won".
I went to the place to pick the stuff up but i had to do a job nearby, i used the car of the guy that hired me.
its a Mitsubishi phev something, nice for longer stuff but it was to small to put everything in it that i had won...
So allot of stuff i had to leave behind, learned my lessons for the next time.
Still a good bargain, allot of tools and electric valves, draka wire and that for 200 €

the Flowmeter that you see can be connected by pulses or modbus and some other connection types , going to use this for my rainwater system ;0
Just for fun to see how many rain is going trough.
Shocked about the price it would cost when buying new, bought it for 10€ :)

had to do some work on the plaster plates in the hallway , drilling the holes for the lights and fire alarm.

And i needed some space to put my stuff in because the space i had was being filled rapidly with stuff laying everywhere.
Found this nice rack for just 75€ on marktplaats.

Also that day i bought some steel pipes for my heating system upstairs.
If the floorheating is not doing great or i want LT radiators for heating/cooling i have it already there just to connect and done.

needed the size of the new bath for in the bathroom to see if it would fit and where i must prefab the connections,
so i drew it on a piece of insulation ;)

placing the shower drain took some time and the sewer pipes that had to be under a small angle .

beneath the bathroom i needed to see what was behind the wall and here is the location where the sewer/shower heat exchanger is going to be so i needed to cut there.

Lighting wires in the hallway on the 1st floor.

Then i decided it was time to build the rack to get some space downstairs and upstairs in the garage,
i had some old wood laying around coming from a big old closet that i used to make more room.

Then it was time to bend the steel heating pipes and use a hose to protect it for the concrete "acid" or whatever is in it to eat the metal.

The insulation material arrived for my roof from the house and garage.
I asked the company if the transport company could call me 30 min before the drop off and they said sure no problem.
Sitting downstairs at my parents house from 7.00 doing some bookkeeping and waiting on the phone call.

At 10.15 i when i was done i drove to my home and this is what i found.

Yes great, its there, but now i had to walk everything inside by hand....
So that took enough time and trash that i had to bring to the dump but well its here :)

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had an appointment for my new windows and window frames on friday, it was actually Thursday or something when i heard a truck.

he was lucky i was not at a paid job but working in my house..
anyway helped him place the pallets where they should be.

And some great news that my machine was almost ready for shipping

I also made an appointment for a concrete floor, 19-12-2016 they are coming to do the job,
but i needed to make sure that the floorheating that i had put it was ok and not damaged/leaking so i put some pressure on it about 2 Bar.
it has been at 2Bar for a week and i used some mist with soap to see if there was a leak at the header but luckily everything was oke.

Bought some wood because the window frame company called and asked if they could work and replace them.
No problem the sooner the better ,but the floor was not there yet so i put some wood for protection on the hoses.

Took some pictures before and after , the doors are not yet replaced , these will come begin 2017 ;(

Before , wood.

And after

and for the garage, this is reinforced glass, not sure what and how but they told me when you throw a rock against it, it will bounce back.

Also very happy with the coating they have done on the windows that prevent heat coming in , so in summer days i do not have to close the rolling shutters.
And the locks on the windows are much better compared to many windows.

I also took pictures since the insulated frames and windows should be much better then before.
The only problem is that the pictures from before which i took when standing outside, was with allot of sun.
So the frames where heated allot.
This does not give a good comparison but here is after and it looks good to me, the darker the color the colder it is, more yellow / read the more warm it is.
These pics are made yesterday night, this gives the best real result .
Kitchen window with the old door, you can barely see the window and the frame because they are cold , and inside they are warm, not leaking as much as the door as you can see.

(kitchen window and door on the bigger pic is on the right below)

here a pic of the old bigger doors for the garden

and here from the inside

you can see the windows on the right having almost the same color as the walls meaning they have the same temp.
There is still a leak on the bottom , used some material to cover this up but i do need to fill the wall with insulation to prevent this.

From the inside i placed 10cm thick insulation and on top of that some plaster board.
Now i keep some space between the cove where i can hide the shutters or luxaflex or curtains.

Closed also the holes with plaster and fastened some wires in the wall.

And placed some of the cove front pieces again, that a friend of mine made for me but not sure how . i have a wrong measurement and tomorrow i have to use a saw to make it a bit bigger.
But it looks pretty good already if you ask me ;)

Cant wait to see what it looks like when all is plastered and painted.

the plaster has already been ordered.

Some other stuff that is keeping my busy is the heating system.
The drawing is something i made for fun and see how and what, not at al good in it and using the wrong style i discovered.
Need to find out some good freeware to draw a good diagram but this is what i could come up with ;)
it's probably messy to read sorry for that :roll:

And something to measure if it would fit on my roof, and it turns it out does ;)
next year summer i hope to put 100 panels on my roof about 260Wp each.
This will be pretty "cheap" because when having 25Kw of solar panels on your roof will , the rvo gives nice "discounts" at the end of the year for my company.
Discount as in subsidized

That's it for now, have to do allot of "little" things but many of them make a big thing haha.
Time is becoming a problem, 19th concrete, 21th the plaster guy is beginning so got allot to do :)

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So another view updates.

i had to hurry a bit with the bathroom because the concrete floor would be poured in next week, so i used some hdpe pipes i have from my work for the water connections.

Also i was advised when using a shower drain to pour some none shrinking concrete around the drain to prevent leakage in the future when the concrete dries.

The cove i have in the rooms upstairs are also done now, i mean the front piece, gives a total different look when they are white.

i also mounted the plaster stops , if thats the word, took a little work and i tried it first with plaster but that was not a big success for me so i used high tac glue.

and these are with high tac

On top of the window frames i placed insulation 13cm thick PIR plates and on top of that plaster board so it could be given a nice smooth finish and hopefully keep some cold out.

Then monday arrived, and it was finally time for the new floor on top of the floor heating system,
i guess my neighbor was not happy, big truck coming over with generators inside and everything automatically.
5:45 he arrived , did some pre work and 6:45 the engine started, haha sounded like a airplane and then the hose that looked like a big snake that was being attacked.
Here is a video : flickr.com/photos/134761793@N04/shares/ ... res/L9aT2B

Very happy with the result, as it is almost a month ago it is finally slowly drying and i can connect the floor heating,
another "problem" would be using the floor heating since there is a protocol i need to follow with turning the heat up every 24hour 5 degrees more until i reach the water temp off 40 degrees.
Problem is that i do not know how or if this is possible with my earth heat pump system.

I also picked up some stuff for my garage , nice cabinets , and a bigger warehouse shelves to clean my garage.

i bought a lot , had to clean out a room with equipment , in the end the room was a bit bigger then i expected.
resulting in allot of stuff haha.
for example some of these 19" servers and even better a serial port server ;)

and i regret it that i bought microphones to place in my house for VR , i opened a box that has 7 of these mics in it.

serial port server

Bought some wires as well for a little price, as if i did not have enough yet haha.

but probably nobody noticed this lot since i had it for the price of spool :D
i mean the grey signal wires.

needed some lights to replace the older fluorescent tubes which almost do not work anymore in my garage,
found this bargain for 6 € a piece

Already placed some of them and finally there is light :)

Another thing that happened in my home automation that i got running, just a few simple temp/hygro units from oregon scientific.
Suddenly when i arrived the door would not open, this is using a 433mhz remote.
At first i thought it was my own fault since i placed another 433mhz unit from china to turn on the lights or off when i sit in the car in the evening.

Then i also found that all the sensors where offline , in homeseer i could not read any value and luckily i grabbed the right one that caused the problem.

the batteries are empty and then it crashes everything in a certain range working on 433mhz.....
I have been told before about this but didn't knew it would literally turn everything wireless down
Nice if you are having wireless window/door sensors or smoke sensors......

Time to plaster,
the green paint is to get a better bonding between the plaster and the layer where it is coated on.

Helped myself 1 day when i had a day off, it was fun to do but i don't see myself doing this all day every day as a job.
A friend of mine did it without problems and very smooth result.

and here he also hide the big steel support beam that's in my roof, took 13 bags of plaster 25kg each to get the ceiling nice and take out the height difference, very happy with the result.

it looks already very different com compared to before, cant wait till its dry and i can spray everything in color.

And i bought 160m2 of plastic wood look floors, its no PVC but very hard material and waterproof.
It does take some time and you have to take precautions before laying this material since with heat it will expand and retract when cold but keeping some more distance around the walls will do.

More to come ;)

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, i know, probably know to much haha.
Wish i did not have to work since i got much more projects going on ;)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
imna start using this thread as an internet speed test and browser benchmark :p

awesome work as always, im getting ready to gut my office down to the foundations and build it back up as a lan party/gaming room.

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
imna start using this thread as an internet speed test and browser benchmark

awesome work as always, im getting ready to gut my office down to the foundations and build it back up as a lan party/gaming room.
Haha yes it is good for a speedtest with all the pictures at the moment.
I might make a website from the start till the end of my "project".

Doing everything yourself is great but it does take more time and a few friends of mine that are in construction do many things very differently.
I tend to think to much and difficult about making things Ive noticed.
Would I do this again? Probably haha.

Goodluck with building there. Make some high quality gaming room of it.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There has been a month and a few days passed since the last update but not much electronic updates or HA yet.
Still want to update it to keep my log on a time line.

The pellet stoves arrived, 1 for my dad a smaller one thats 18 or 19 Kw.
Mine is a bit bigger since i want to get some heat in the garage and its still a bit small for the space since its 28Kw and the total amount id like to get on a nice temperature is 2 x +/- 130m2

The plaster was starting to get some mold here and there since the layer is very thick that has gone on the ceiling in the living , so i needed to rent a dryer.

Uses allot of energy, and makes allot of noise as well.
It did help to dry the room in about 5 days.

Because i am going to use a mechanical ventilation system with a heath exchanger in my house, and i like to be able to switch all rooms separate with valves i needed to adjust some things in some rooms that did not have their own ventilation tube.
So this is going between the plaster and the ceiling in the bathroom to refresh the air in the spare room.
took some time since the wall is pretty thick from the house into the garage.

testing how it would look like with some of the new floor parts and i finally took out the protection layer/paper from the floor.

i wanted to use photoshop and edit it in the whole picture but it took me to long since i have not much experience with it, i did manage to color the wall and that helped with choosing the paint color.

Did a little job for someone on the co2 laser, must say i like the idea he came up with as a menu card holder.

i only engraved the logo on them.

Then my package arrived from China, the Fiber laser engraver i ordered and the cnc milling machine.

i managed to get it inside and it was a bit of work since i was alone.

Could not resist to open up the smallest crate ;)

Back to the house, the bedroom is finished with plastering and i placed the drying machine in it as well.

Needed to make some space, and started to build some storage racks that i bought on a auction.
here i discovered that the floor is not level ?!

Ive got more but need to build them , it has been a very busy week with all the preparations i needed to make for spraying the walls/ceiling etc with paint.

started to mask the pieces that needed to stay clean.

here i was ready for the first layer of white paint.

and the paint is on , did it on a friday night and started saturday morning at 7 again for the final layers.
forgot to make a picture when i was done but here it is with 1 colored wall.

There are some spots that need some attention because there is still a small scratch or dust particle in/on the wall.
So somewhere in the coming days ill try to redo this and try to spray the bedroom so i can get things settled there and move my bed in.

That's it for now, sorry no tech stuff yet.