Viewing an Android App while connected to same network

37tr3n5k

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am using Blue Iris on a tablet mounted on the wall in lieu of a peephole for my front door with my front porch camera. I have configured the tablet to just stay on as I have a wall mount frame with USB plug / powered by an outlet behind the tablet. Therefore, the picture is constantly on so nobody has to swipe the tablet when the doorbell rings to see who it is. While using the app, I am utilizing the remote viewer setup configuration. Given it uses my public IP address, I am guessing the traffic is coming from the internet rather than my LAN as it would when I am viewing locally on the BI computer. The tablet is connected to the same router my BI computer is, however it is using wifi (obviously).

Is it correct that my tablet is going out, then utilizing my ISP bandwidth to view something that is originating on my local network? If so, is there a way to configure the app so it only uses local bandwidth? I have searched the forums, but I dont see where this has been addressed. My apologies if it has and thanks in advance for any help if it hasn't.

EDIT: Well, I just figured out the answer to my own question. Yes, I can configure it so it only uses local traffic by using the local IP for both WAN and LAN in the login section of the app (on the device). Just leaving this here for others to see if they want to know.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am using Blue Iris on a tablet mounted on the wall in lieu of a peephole for my front door with my front porch camera. I have configured the tablet to just stay on as I have a wall mount frame with USB plug / powered by an outlet behind the tablet. Therefore, the picture is constantly on so nobody has to swipe the tablet when the doorbell rings to see who it is. While using the app, I am utilizing the remote viewer setup configuration. Given it uses my public IP address, I am guessing the traffic is coming from the internet rather than my LAN as it would when I am viewing locally on the BI computer. The tablet is connected to the same router my BI computer is, however it is using wifi (obviously).

Is it correct that my tablet is going out, then utilizing my ISP bandwidth to view something that is originating on my local network? If so, is there a way to configure the app so it only uses local bandwidth? I have searched the forums, but I dont see where this has been addressed. My apologies if it has and thanks in advance for any help if it hasn't.
Your router will route it internally. IF you want to be sure, simply use the INTERNAL ip address instead of the external