User authority

sarces

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello I'm new and I'm looking for information, recently I installed ip cameras and setup all the users allowed but I need to setup more users, so I was thinking that maybe there is a possibility doing it thru the company's website the user can log into the website and would have access to the camera, I dont know if this is possible, if it is can someone point me in the right information.
I should also say that each user should have access to a different camera.
Thank you.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
More info would be helpful:
  • Are these individual cameras or are they connected to an NVR?
  • How many users total?
  • How many cameras total?
  • Are these users local (LAN), remote (WAN) or both?
Depending on your answers, I'm thinking a Blue Iris server PC and using its web server's UI3 interface.

P.S. - welcome to IPCT! :welcome:

sarces

n3wb
Reaction score
More info would be helpful:
  • Are these individual cameras or are they connected to an NVR?
  • How many users total?
  • How many cameras total?
  • Are these users local (LAN), remote (WAN) or both?
Depending on your answers, I'm thinking a Blue Iris server PC and using its web server's UI3 interface.

P.S. - welcome to IPCT! :welcome:
Thank you. There is a total of 16 cameras, all connected to an NVR and I need around 60 users to have access to specific cameras not to be able to see them all. It will be over both LAN and WAN.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you. There is a total of 16 cameras, all connected to an NVR and I need around 60 users to have access to specific cameras not to be able to see them all. It will be over both LAN and WAN.

This seems ideal for Blue Iris' webserver. The only thing I am not sure of is how many users can be set up. You could e-mail their support and ask unless someone else knows.

With BI, each user can be configured to view only certain cams, restrict bandwidth, limit how long they can log in, prevent PTZ controls, allow by time of day, etc....even launch a custom HTML webpage when they log in. Lots of configurability.

sarces

n3wb
Reaction score
This seems ideal for Blue Iris' webserver. The only thing I am not sure of is how many users can be set up. You could e-mail their support and ask unless someone else knows.

With BI, each user can be configured to view only certain cams, restrict bandwidth, limit how long they can log in, prevent PTZ controls, allow by time of day, etc....even launch a custom HTML webpage when they log in. Lots of configurability.
Thanks TonyR, sounds like it's what I'm looking for, do you use BI ?? Do the users have to pay for the app or they would be able to use any free app in their phones?? Would they only be able to use a web browser?? Can I set up a DNS for those users not to use the ip address?? Thanks for the help

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks TonyR, sounds like it's what I'm looking for, do you use BI ??
Yes, for 4 years now. BI has their own forum on IPCT here and you can buy it in the IPCT store.

Do the users have to pay for the app or they would be able to use any free app in their phones??
Yes, BI's app is $10 and worth every penny because it WORKS.
However, if you have many, many users I think it could work out best if they used a browser on their smartphone, tablet or PC. The app is required if a user is to receive push notifications.

Would they only be able to use a web browser??
Yes. Chrome works best, though.

Can I set up a DNS for those users not to use the ip address??
Yes, you can configure a hostname in DDNS such as "myblueiriscams.freeip.net". If your WAN IP is dynamic, then the local router can be set to update the DDNS or most offer a free client to install on the BI server to do the same thing...refresh the WAN IP with the DDNS provider. If the WAN IP is static, the DDNS can still be setup with a hostname and no refresh is needed (my noip.com can do this).

Last edited:

sarces

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion, have been trying to contact BI, sent them an email and it took them 3 days to respond, my first email to them was to know if there was any other way to get in contact with them, and that took 3 days....... I've sent 3 other emails since then with other inquiries but have not gotten any response.... have you experience this with them???

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
have some patience. BI is a one-man operation, so he (Ken) tends to get busy, probably has to prioritize ongoing support & development issues over answering random product queries... There is an ardent user base here in this forum and many questions get answered here, or in the help file. you can download and try the software for free (and explore the help file to see if it answres your questions) at http://blueirisoftware.com/download demo version is fully fucntional, for the most part, other than a watermark on the video and some performance features...

btw, the help file says "you may add as many users as you wish", so there doens;t appear to be any limit, tho they are all locally defined with passwords and it doesn't seem to support any sort of external auth mechanism like RADIUS or LDAP that i can tell. That said, the application is under constant development and there may well be be plans to add such a feature (remote auth) already...

Last edited: