Use Poe from camera to power extra IR lights.

johnd

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I would like to split poe power from camera so i can also power xtra IR lights. Aft side house we use a
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 2MP from Andy. Its pointed right at the cars and front door so nearby. At the aft of the house is a garden 8 meter deep and at 16 meters a road. There are lightpoles but for the garden/ aft entry i would like xtra IR lights and IPC-HDW5831R-ZE
setup so with better zoom-in options then the 2MP. Is there a way to power the cam with poe and also power a good xtra ir light source. Can anyone recommend a good solution for this ?

Thx

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I would say if you use a power injector it might work. LED lighting takes a lot less power and that would be the route I would take if I was looking into doing this.

johnd

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm posting the link below because the title says "from" camera. It's more typical to split the power "to" the camera, using a splitter similar to the one noted in the previous post.
Dahua camera mod to power external IR light
Its a new house and the utp cable is sticking out of the outside wall. So maybe my question was not clear. I would like to piggyback/ tap off 12v from that cable and then to connect the utp plug. Inside the house the cable goes from NAS to Dlink switch/ injector to outside wall. So i need to know which cables carry the 12v and a neat way to split it so it all fits in the
PFB203W bracket. I can use a soldering iron but maybe there are better ways.

Reaction score
You should probably either buy a purpose-built splitter, or get really knowledgeable on Power Over Ethernet: Power over Ethernet - Wikipedia where it describes which wires are used for power and data and how that works.

Sounds like a passive injector is probably what you are after, assuming your camera needs power as well through the POE cable (maybe it doesn't because you have it powered separately via DC which would be kind of silly). It's not impossible, but it takes some research on this forum and also the web.

johnd

n3wb
Reaction score
The TPlink can provie 15.4W per connection. The Dahua uses max 8.5W according specs. That leaves me with 6.9Watt / 12 = 0.575 Amp. That would be a very weak ir illuminator i guess ?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Provided by @GCoco some time ago: POE Splitter / Voltage Converter

The splitters can be powered by an 802.3af PoE input if total output power is less than 15W. They can be powered by an 802.3at input if total output required is less than 30W.

In other words, if your PSE is POE+ (802.3at), you could get a dedicated 20 watts @ 12VDC with their model # POE-SPLT-4812G-P .

It passes data on through to the cam and provides 2 terminals for the 12VDC to an external IR light source.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
With standard POE, none of the cables carry 12 volts. It's the 50 volt ballpark. On a 100 Mbps link, one standard POE mode carries both the data and power on the orange and green pairs, while the other standard mode carries the data on orange and green, and the power on the blue and brown pairs. In most cases, POE switches combine the power and data on the orange and green pairs, while injectors add the power to the blue and brown pairs. You also have the option of running 2-pair POE for the camera, then using a passive injector and splitter to place whatever you want on the brown and blue pairs. Using 12 volts is a bit of a handicap because it will have higher I2R losses compared to using a higher voltage to supply the same amount of power. Most of the IP cameras operate on 12 volts, internally stepping down the ~50 volt POE voltage. The camera's external power jack is for a 12 volt input.