USB 3.0 VS eSATA Hard Drive

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK I just got a new 4 bay hard drive case ....

http://www.mediasonic.ca/product.php?id=1357290977

and it comes with a USB 3.0 port and a eSATA port. Notably my soon to be acquired Server PC also comes with both interfaces. BTW the HD case has a very nice switch in front to go from one to the other. I'd like to set up with the eSATA because it looks like it would be potentially faster. However, I also want to bring the connection of the two devices out to the patch panel. Looking for keystone couplers, unlike the USB interface, I can't find a coupler with the eSATA interface.

Any one else find a keystone coupler with the eSATA ports?

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK I just got a new 4 bay hard drive case ....

http://www.mediasonic.ca/product.php?id=1357290977

and it comes with a USB 3.0 port and a eSATA port. Notably my soon to be acquired Server PC also comes with both interfaces. BTW the HD case has a very nice switch in front to go from one to the other. I'd like to set up with the eSATA because it looks like it would be potentially faster. However, I also want to bring the connection of the two devices out to the patch panel. Looking for keystone couplers, unlike the USB interface, I can't find a coupler with the eSATA interface.

Any one else find a keystone coupler with the eSATA ports?

How far are you trying to connect? I suspect you are trying to cover several yards and eSata doesn't support more than a few feet [url]https://www.google.com/?ion=1&espv=2#q=esata%20max%20length [/URL]

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How far are you trying to connect? I suspect you are trying to cover several yards and eSata doesn't support more than a few feet https://www.google.com/?ion=1&espv=2#q=esata max length
I think it should be OK. The HD will be right next to the PC on the same Rack shelf and the patch panel will be just below in front also mounted to the rack frame. Maybe 14" to each device and a 6" patch cable bridging them together at the panel. I might need a longer cable to connect to the hard drive via the panel interface just to do occasional HD set up or diagnostic work with another PC.

I just need the 2 eSATA couplings at the patch panel. The cables are available - I think

user101

n3wb
Reaction score
i've been using esata for the last 7 years and havent had any issues...but ive never heard of an esata keystone coupler...maybe some chinese vendor could have it...i wouldnt try USB 3...ive been using it sparingly since its inception and have never had great luck with reliability...i use esata cables 6ft in length and never have any problems. Why not try and esata to sata cable...just plug the sata portion inside the case to the MB then run it out a slot in the back and the esata part into your drive bay...its not pretty but ive done it...works fine

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I love eSATA but it's a shame it never took off and is slowly dying. USB consuming all, same as for firewire. Cheaper is better when Chinese mass produce.

It might be faster but are you going to notice it? Unless you are putting RAIDed SSDs or 4x RAID HDDs in there then the difference will be negligable. Even if so, how often are you going to noice and extra 100MBps when you are already going 600MBps?

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why not try and esata to sata cable...just plug the sata portion inside the case to the MB then run it out a slot in the back and the esata part into your drive bay...its not pretty but ive done it...works fine
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. I have to admit that I don't know what MB is inside the case? I see the cable you linked on Amazon. Is the PC connected direct to the HD case in your circuit?

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I love eSATA but it's a shame it never took off and is slowly dying. USB consuming all, same as for firewire. Cheaper is better when Chinese mass produce.

It might be faster but are you going to notice it? Unless you are putting RAIDed SSDs or 4x RAID HDDs in there then the difference will be negligable. Even if so, how often are you going to noice and extra 100MBps when you are already going 600MBps?
Well I take your point. I'd have to actually test for speeds somehow to know if the eSATA connection was to any effect in the overall system. My thinking is that I should pursue all the speed that is available for each component and if at a later time the slow link my need replacement, then the other components are good to go. That is the long view.

user101

n3wb
Reaction score
inside the server PC itself there should be a free/unused sata port on the motherboard...plug the sata end of the cable into that then run the cable out of a slot on the back of the server..if there is one...then plug the esata portion of that cable into the mediasonic thing

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
inside the server PC itself there should be a free/unused sata port on the motherboard...plug the sata end of the cable into that then run the cable out of a slot on the back of the server..if there is one...then plug the esata portion of that cable into the mediasonic thing
No need for that. I have a cable that will make the eSATA to eSATA; PC to HD direct. What I want to do is route each eSATA connection from both HD and PC to the patch panel. Both of these eSATA ports on these devices are on the back of the equipment. Thus they are otherwise relatively inaccessible. I desire to access both of them from the front of the rack enclosure. Rack is a wall mount so it is hard to reach any port that will be on the back side of the equipment.

user101

n3wb
Reaction score
so basically you want these ports to be accessible from the front of the rackmount server/pc? if i had a pic of the unit itself i could maybe get a better idea but there's another way to rig that...just get an Esata bracket and run it to the front of the server. They have 1 or 2 port models and it wouldnt be pretty but it would serve its purpose. I did this same method on an Thermaltake lanbox lite...it has vents on the side of the case and i wanted to be able to plug and unplug the esata from the front or side and i just ran the esata bracket cable thru the slits/vents and had my ports on the side..and not in the back

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
so basically you want these ports to be accessible from the front of the rackmount server/pc? if i had a pic of the unit itself i could maybe get a better idea but there's another way to rig that...just get an Esata bracket and run it to the front of the server. They have 1 or 2 port models and it wouldnt be pretty but it would serve its purpose. I did this same method on an Thermaltake lanbox lite...it has vents on the side of the case and i wanted to be able to plug and unplug the esata from the front or side and i just ran the esata bracket cable thru the slits/vents and had my ports on the side..and not in the back
I actually have not purchased much of my equipment yet because My plan is not complete yet. My wall mount server enclosure will be much like this. Im still debating with myself if I will need a 6U or a 9U. The depth will be about 20" regardless.
Server Inclouser 2.jpg

The Esata bracket you reference is the right idea and I think the 18" attached cables would reach the back of the equipment. However, this device only supports 3GB/s. eSATA cables/connections support up to 6GB/s. So when the connection is bridged at the patch panel I give up 50% of the transmission rate.

Attachments

user101

n3wb
Reaction score
esata bracket 1

esata bracket 2

sata or esata cables all support up to 6gbps...read this article

seems like you could maybe run that bracket on the inside side of the rackmount..next to the already mounted rack stuff...or dremel out a slot on the vents at the top or bottom of the front of the unit

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
esata bracket 1

esata bracket 2

sata or esata cables all support up to 6gbps...read this article

seems like you could maybe run that bracket on the inside side of the rackmount..next to the already mounted rack stuff...or dremel out a slot on the vents at the top or bottom of the front of the unit
Thanks for the article. Now with that issue out of the way, the esata bracket 1 is interesting. It seems that the bracket is attached to the cables with screws. So I think I could unscrew them from the bracket and screw them to the back of the patch panel. (Modify the panel some) I might have to buy the bracket to see what I could do with it. Looks promising. Does not seem to be a cable length specified so I'm not sure it would reach.

How about this One?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S6B8QMY?psc=1

Last edited by a moderator: