Update to Latest FW or Don't?

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
B54IR-Z4E-S3
IPC-T54IR-AS-S3
IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3
NVR8CH-8P-2AI
The main upgrade in newer firmwares of WizMind-S (5xxx-S3) cameras is AcuPick.. Which works only with a new 5xxx-EI NVR (You have this model).
If You interested in this function (You can find many videos about AcuPick on Youtube) then You should upgrade firmware. If not, there is no need.

H. Swanson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The main upgrade in newer firmwares of WizMind-S (5xxx-S3) cameras is AcuPick.. Which works only with a new 5xxx-EI NVR (You have this model).
If You interested in this function (You can find many videos about AcuPick on Youtube) then You should upgrade firmware. If not, there is no need.
Thanks. I just watched the video on it. Looks like a cool feature to me.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My camera out of the box has AcuPick. You also gain "smart IR" with an update.

syzygy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmmm....

I just bought 2 IPC-T541R-ZE-S3 to supplement 2 HDW5231RP-ZE cameras I've had for a couple years or so - and using them with BI5

So - using BI5, as opposed to a Dahua NVR - do I have anything to gain by using Andy's S3 firmware update? Don't know if smart IR is functional with BI5?

also, while in the process of adding these 2 new T541R-ZE-S3, I learned that I have no PoE on 2 of the 4ports on my Dahua 6-port PoE DH-PFS3006-4ET-60 switch - but that's likely a hardware defect?
(the 2 ports with PoE working are the ones I've been using - the other 2 seem dead regardless of which cameras I plug into them)

syzygy

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you - so it might be worth the risk of updating I guess. I'm finding the IR is creating cloudy images in one cam - likely due to where it's mounted (possibly complicated by autofocus -not sure yet).

The other cam seems okay with & w/o IR - but I'll need to learn what smart IR really accomplishes I guess.

Thank you wittaj!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IR bounce won't be fixed by a firmware update. Either eliminate the objects bouncing IR or take IR off of auto and manual set it.

Smart IR works by lowering IR when an object, say a person gets close to the camera so that the face doesn't wash out.

If the faces don't wash out or you run in color then Smart IR is of no benefit to upgrade

syzygy

n3wb
Reaction score
IR bounce won't be fixed by a firmware update. Either eliminate the objects bouncing IR or take IR off of auto and manual set it.
No, I get that, which is what I meant -on one camera I may end up disabling IR entirely, so no reason to be concerned with smart IR (for that one cam at least)

-but the description of a sort of adaptive/agc (tied to face recognition?) is very helpful - thanks again!

So, you mention running in color - but isn't smart IR able to be used when in night mode? (to allow color in high light conditions, when using auto day/night?)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many people force their cameras at night to run in color or have enough light that the camera stays in color at night - if that is the case Smart IR does nothing.

The only benefit Smart IR has is if you run B/W with infrared and faces get blown out/washed out as they get closer to the camera.