Unresponsive Computer?

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I put Blue Iris on a fresh Windows install. Every couple of days, the computer becomes unresponsive. I can see the leds from the fans so I know it is still running but it does not respond to mouse or keyboard and I cannot connect to BI's interface from another computer. There's nothing set to run on that computer other than BI. When I restart (holding the power button to shut off then pushing again to start), I can see in BI when BI stopped recording. Are there any logs in BI, either on by default or that I can turn on, to get an idea what BI is doing before the computer locks up? I do not know if the issue is BI. But being it is one of the only things running, I have to consider the possibility.

Jim I.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I put Blue Iris on a fresh Windows install. Every couple of days, the computer becomes unresponsive. I can see the leds from the fans so I know it is still running but it does not respond to mouse or keyboard and I cannot connect to BI's interface from another computer. There's nothing set to run on that computer other than BI. When I restart (holding the power button to shut off then pushing again to start), I can see in BI when BI stopped recording. Are there any logs in BI, either on by default or that I can turn on, to get an idea what BI is doing before the computer locks up? I do not know if the issue is BI. But being it is one of the only things running, I have to consider the possibility.
Have you checked the event viewer in Windows? That may shed some light on what's causing it to crash. You also need to provide more details as to your current setup. Is this a new computer build or an existing system?

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have you checked the event viewer in Windows? That may shed some light on what's causing it to crash. You also need to provide more details as to your current setup. Is this a new computer build or an existing system?
I'll look through the event viewer for more information.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you done all the steps in the wiki and BI help manual - allowing antivirus to run on BI and the video files can bring it to its knees.

Provided you have excluded those from virus software, then it sounds like it could be a memory leak, but as pointed out we need to know the specifics - Windows version, BI version, computer processor, amount of RAM, etc.

Reaction score
Are there any logs in BI, either on by default or that I can turn on, to get an idea what BI is doing before the computer locks up? I do not know if the issue is BI.
Yes there are. Select the graph icon to bring up the status listing.

At the bottom of that popup is a check box to save the log to a file. Select that and enter the path for the log file. It writes a month at a time to a file. You can select Open file to see the whole log for the current month. You can open the folder and then select other months logs.

1679196302162.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I had some problems like that on my i7-3770s FrankenPlex. ( 7020 Optiplex desktop form factor)
took out an i-3 and put in an i7, and she was a bit warm. So i found an i7 heat sink from a Precision MT. It barely let the cover close on the PC.
Ran cooler. But still I would come to work on Monday, and it would be like you said...
Eventually I went with a PC that wasn't a cobble job, and a true Surveillance drive. and even then.... @fenderman
had me update or revert to a Graphics Driver ( known stable with BI) for a possible memory leak ( or something) for the i5-8500 and things have been stable ever since,,,,,

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have you done all the steps in the wiki and BI help manual - allowing antivirus to run on BI and the video files can bring it to its knees.

Provided you have excluded those from virus software, then it sounds like it could be a memory leak, but as pointed out we need to know the specifics - Windows version, BI version, computer processor, amount of RAM, etc.
I've got a 6th gen Intel CPU in a computer that was home built. It ran Windows 7 until I recently installed Win 10. Fresh install, not an upgrade. It currently has display driver version 26.20.100.7262. When I try to install version 15.45.18.4664, I get a message the driver is not validated for the computer. If I roll back, I go to version 10.something. If I uninstall the driver and reboot, it automatically installs version 21. or 26., I can't recall which one now. If I update driver and point to version 15, it won't install. If I can't figure out a way to get the working drives installed, would installing a graphics card, like one from nvidia, be a workaround?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
where are you sourcing your driver versions from? Have you been to Intel's site or googled the Processor number to search for graphic drivers?

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
where are you sourcing your driver versions from? Have you been to Intel's site or googled the Processor number to search for graphic drivers?

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I managed to get the driver to 10.0.19041.868. When I try to install 15, version 21 gets installed. I'm going to try 10 and see if that helps.

ztoundas

n3wb
Reaction score
I put Blue Iris on a fresh Windows install. Every couple of days, the computer becomes unresponsive. I can see the leds from the fans so I know it is still running but it does not respond to mouse or keyboard and I cannot connect to BI's interface from another computer. There's nothing set to run on that computer other than BI. When I restart (holding the power button to shut off then pushing again to start), I can see in BI when BI stopped recording.
I have this EXACT same issue. For me it's on a Sunday at 1:59:55 AM both times, but there was a 2 week gap between incidents, and the system has been running for 6 weeks now, so it's not exactly weekly. My PC is freshly built - i3-12100 - 16 gb DDR4 - ASRock B660M - Seagate Skyhawk CCTV drives - W10 Pro

Also the system has Screenconnect installed (cloud-based remote access software) and it also refuses to connect, along with the exact other symptoms you've described. Same with RDP.

I just enabled the logs (weird they aren't enabled by default), so now I have to wait till it happens again.

Did you have any luck?

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have this EXACT same issue. For me it's on a Sunday at 1:59:55 AM both times, but there was a 2 week gap between incidents, and the system has been running for 6 weeks now, so it's not exactly weekly. My PC is freshly built - i3-12100 - 16 gb DDR4 - ASRock B660M - Seagate Skyhawk CCTV drives - W10 Pro

Also the system has Screenconnect installed (cloud-based remote access software) and it also refuses to connect, along with the exact other symptoms you've described. Same with RDP.

I just enabled the logs (weird they aren't enabled by default), so now I have to wait till it happens again.

Did you have any luck?
Yes, I upgraded to Windows Pro, disabled auto update device drivers, then reverted back to version 10.0.19041.868.