Understanding Hikvision Motion Detection

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It seems no matter what configuration i try with the Hikvision motion detection i get loads of false alarms.

Basic Event, Expert Event, Smart Event, Line Crossing, Intrusion Detection all give unsatisfactory results regardless of the settings. The main factor being the change in the weather.

One thing i do not get is that if regardless of the detection method used when activated i always get more little green squares in a bigger area than of the original red square set up. Why is this?

I read a lot about Blue Iris would this software give me more reliable options?

acp_xt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

It is true that image based motion detection will always give false alerts, but some very careful planning and experimentation should significantly cut down false alerts. I record all my cameras 24/7, so I use only line detection, intrusion and tamper detection. Except during the rare storm, I rarely get false alerts. It all depends on your camera scene, camera placement, usage of built-in IR, usage of the relative size of object feature, and most importantly thinking about how an intruder would approach/leave, and then planning the events around this.

There is a severe storm raging outside right now and I have got about 3 false alerts the whole evening and this is mainly because I use the camera's built-in IR which illuminates the rain drops. If I switched these off and used external IR alone, this would go down to none I believe.

Cheers

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I also record 24/7 and use motion alerts so that I get the email notifications with snapshots. I get maybe 1 false email a day, if that. Once I got things dialed in after a few weeks i went from 2 or 3 false alerts a day to 2 or 3 total per week. Just take time and customize your trigger area as well as your exclusion zones and you'll get it going how you want eventually. Don't forget to also play with your sensitivity.

I know this doesn't "help" you resolve your issue, however I'm just saying don't give up, you can get it dialed in.

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Currently dealing with the same issue, if sensitivity is on 2 I get too many alerts and records every 10 minutes, if set to 1, it skips valuable info. Have not been able to get the channel to record during line crossing.

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok i am now making progress with this.

My camera is a DS-2CD2032F-I and is viewing a private residential car park with almost no street lighting. I have no Nvr and record to a 64Gb SD card only.

The best solution i have found so far:

Daylight hours i use basic motion detection set at a sensitivity of 20. Red detections squares are kept to a minimum using the iVMS-4200 software event management. If i connect to the camera direct through a browser it is hard to enable individual red squares so i use iVMS-4200 which is far simpler. In darkness i find the sensitivity of 20 too low but 40 too high. Expert mode in darkness is also too hit and miss regardless of the sensitivity.
Darkness hours i use line crossing detection set at a sensitivity of 75 with only A to B direction. In daylight i find that line crossing detection is not as reliable as it is at darkness.

Using the arming schedule templates this seems to work very well with a massive reduction in false alarms.

Trouble is that i have to set the day/night camera switch to activate manually at set times to match the arming schedule templates which is a pain.
Is there any way of linking the arming schedule templates to the auto day/night switching of the camera?

Last edited by a moderator:

acp_xt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there any way of linking the arming schedule templates to the auto day/night switching of the camera?
Happy to hear about the progress made. As far as I know the firmware won't let you link the auto switch to the schedules.
However, I believe you can achieve this using scripts. I haven't tried this myself though.
Why not do away with basic motion detection altogether, I just checked my settings and I don't have it set up for alerts. This is probably why I get almost no false alerts.

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Happy to hear about the progress made. As far as I know the firmware won't let you link the auto switch to the schedules.
However, I believe you can achieve this using scripts. I haven't tried this myself though.
Why not do away with basic motion detection altogether, I just checked my settings and I don't have it set up for alerts. This is probably why I get almost no false alerts.
I find during daylight hours that basic motion works best. However i do keep the individual red squares to an absolute minimum covering the entry/exit and high risk points. I never have two squares joined together as i find that with the "enable highlight" rule checked i can watch the motion detected and it always seems to be detected a little away from the red squares. In my opinion each individual red square covers an area up to four times its own size.