Turret vs Bullet IR / Overall Performance Difference

auscam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've read through a bunch of posts and seems to be common knowledge that bullet's have better performance (generally) than turrets.
I have a few areas turrets seem to be a better form factor.

I'm curious what real world tradeoffs are for the latest models?

Thank you

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I think Bullets tend to be a little larger and will often have larger IR LEDs. This is certainly true of the Dahua 5442 series cameras that I have. The turret cameras work great, but the IR LED is definitely smaller than the turret version I own. (Although I believe the turret is a variable focal length model and the turret is a fixed focal length model - so maybe that has something to do with it too).

The turrets are definitely smaller in over size. That is a major benefit to that form factor. Turrets aren't "bad" either. I'm 100% satisfied with the results I get with my Dahua 5442 turret cameras.

"Dome" cameras are the ones you generally want to avoid. They are basically turret cameras with a clear plastic dome that covers the lens. These are notoriously bad for reflections affecting the video quality.

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The cons for both in my experience, where each con is a pro for the other variant:
  • Bullets tend to attract more bugs/spiders
  • Bullets are bulkier, so will be more visible on ones house

• Turrets aren't able to have as much zoom
  • Turrets have less IR range

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Turrets usually has 2 IR lights.
Bullets usually has 4 IR lights.
That's true! Although this doesn't tell the whole story, depends on the model.
HFW5442T-ASE has 4 leds and HDW5442TM-AS only 2, but they both have the same spec'd illumination distance of 50m.

HFW5442E-Z4E has only 3 leds and the specs say it has 120m illumination distance.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
That's true! Although this doesn't tell the whole story, depends on the model.
HFW5442T-ASE has 4 leds and HDW5442TM-AS only 2, but they both have the same spec'd illumination distance of 50m.

HFW5442E-Z4E has only 3 leds and the specs say it has 120m illumination distance.
Excellent point. The manufacturers should list the wattage of the IR, not just the number of LEDs.

auscam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
All great info so far! I was going to put the turret on the side of the column and aimed same way as the ANPR so I'm thinking with two cameras, there will be solid IR output at night to see the area at night.

Attachments