Turret camera needed for short range, mailbox mounted, LPR

tfb5701

n3wb
Reaction score
First post on here. I've had a Reolink system and now about to replace everything with a "real" system(better cameras, flexible NVR/Blue iris, etc). As part of this I want to do LPR as well. My state has back plates only so I need it for both directions. Based on our trees/landscaping and my wife's hatred for bullet-type cameras, the best option would be to put two turret cameras under my mailbox, facing each direction. The mailbox is right on the road so the distance/angle should be very favorable. I've read a bunch of these threads but only 1 or 2 discussed turret cameras and I didn't know if new cameras had come out that were better options than the ones discussed. Both of the road view shots include my mailbox in the foreground of the picture.

1. I know the Z12 bullet cameras and similar alternatives are the ideal but what would be a good varifocal turret camera for this situation? Daytime should be ok with almost any camera so nighttime is my focus

2. Any thoughts on best combination of angle vs distance? As you can see from the pictures, I can be at 0 degrees at 70 ft for the west camera but reality is probably 30 feet would still be only 20-30 degrees. East facing camera might be only 30 degrees at 15 feet and angle gets lower as distance increases. These cameras would be about 4 feet off the pavement in height.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since you are going to put them on the mailbox, go with a Dahua varifocal. You may get by with a 4mm or 6mm fixed lens, but why chance it. I have tested a 3.6mm at a mailbox and it can do it but you will be guessing at more plates than you can clearly read, but it isn't that much more to get a varifocal that will allow you to optically zoom, which is what you need.

You do not need the newest and greatest 5442 series for these. An older 2MP model like below will do fine and a lot cheaper now LOL. A couple years ago this camera was going for about what the newer 5442 series goes for. And then paint them black to blend in with the mailbox.

Do keep in mind that at nighttime, the image will be completely black. There is an art and science to getting plates, so it is a lot of tweaking and parking or stopping a vehicle at night in the field of view to optimize the settings.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Concerning the placement on the mailbox, I am thinking the most unobtrusive place for these 6" turrets would be on the post itself, just below the box. That way, their sillouette would not be as seen unless looking at the mailbox perpendicular to the road. Maybe provide some sort of skirt or cover under the front of the mailbox to help hide them. Otherwise, I wonder if placing them deep inside the box might be possible, with small cutouts for the lens.