Troubleshooting POE camera?

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm curious if there is an established method for troubleshooting a camera that has suffered connector water exposure? What I am thinking of is a breakout box that would allow me to monitor POE voltage and current? Is that practical?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, only if reaching the cam-in-question is VERY difficult to get to.

If not, I'd leave the cam mounted and try cleaning the cam end of the RJ-45 female in the pigtail as best as I could, dab some dielectric grease in it and substitute a really long patch cable from the cam to your POE switch/NVR to see if it'll come up...then take it from there.

Taking the cam down is best for safety and thoroughness...I know I tend to be rushed when I'm teetering, hanging on one-handed plus swatting flies, bees and wasps.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
A modified pencil eraser, will help "clean the internal connectors,,, sometimes.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Try some stuff called DeOxIt on the RJ45 connector. If it's just corrosion on the pins of the RJ that should work. If the corrosion has crept into the RJ and gotten to the wires you'll need to re-terminate with a new RJ to repair it.

Once you get it going again, protect that connection properly. Use the dielectric grease as TonyR says, wrap with self amalgamating tape like CoaxSeal around the cable gland and onto the cable at both ends. Wrap that with quality electrical tape like 3M 33+ or 88 also extending onto the cable and past the self amalgamating tape. Even condensation caused by temperature changes can cause corrosion and an RJ45 was never designed for use in potentially corrosion prone locations.

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh, sorry for not being clear. Yes the connector got wet and fried, so I replaced the connector but when I tried it briefly the camera still seems to be non-functional. I'd like to know that I am not going to fry my POE switch with further testing. Is there perhaps a way to current limit POE power?