Troubleshooting Dahua NVR + Cams

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently installed a Dahua NVR + camera system. The NVR is working perfectly, but I'm having issues with remote access and am unsure where to start troubleshooting.

My setup is:
  • Dahua NVR, connected to an Eero Pro 6 satellite via ethernet
  • Dahua cams connected NVR via ethernet

The cam feeds are remotely accessible via the Dahua iOS app, which I think goes through Dahua servers. My end goal is to block the NVR from outgoing traffic and use Scrypted to pull the RTSP feeds into HomeKit instead.

So far, I've been unable to get any RTSP feed working. I can access the NVR directly and through the Dahua iOS app. I can ping the NVR from a laptop but get timeouts when accessing through a web browser. I can't ping the cameras directly, getting "Communication prohibited by filter". It sounds like the cameras are on a different network, but the NVR connects to my network directly so I'm a bit lost.

Any advice on where to start would be appreciated!

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If your cameras are being powered by the nvr, they are going to be on a different network than your laptop and nvr. By default assuming your network is a 192.x, the lan ip the nvr will issue the cameras is going to be 10.1.1.x. If you don’t want to use p2p, you are either going to have to put the cams on a switch or if you have a dual wan router and an extra cam port on nvr you could try a load balance with wan port 2 coming off of nvr.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like I need to troubleshoot the RTSP feeds from the NVR first.
For that, you could try setting your PC's LAN NIC to a unique static IP in the same subnet that the cams are on (assigned by the POE NVR), plug the PC's NIC into an empty POE port on the NVR and try some of your camera RTSP stream URL's using VLC.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Depicted here, are 2 of the 8 Cams that have been moved off the NVR ports, and put on a POE switch......106 and .107
Using Device search ( after I moved them) I was able to add them back to th NVR yet also can see them in Blue Iris, and Google Chrome, and the Amcrest App...(and BI App)....
when you get them from behind the 10.x.x.x switch IP scheme, you can then RSTP them like shown below in the BI example....

1667600710344.png

Attachments

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Depicted here, are 2 of the 8 Cams that have been moved off the NVR ports, and put on a POE switch......106 and .107
Are they on the wan side of the NVR?
Ie. The NVR will allow cameras to connect either via its own built in switch or via its WAN port.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
When you use device search and find the cams your looking for, and want to Re-add them ,,,,,,I have had to "Add" them and then click the edit pencil icon and reenter the Cameras GUI password for it to" take" successfully.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Some of the fuckery that goes with this, is whether or not moving the cams from 10.x.x.x to your Local Lan goes well. if the cams have not been fucked with, they should be set as DHCP in the Network section of the Cam GUI...
at some point last night after several trips to the garage to plug, unplug,replug. swear, kick the tool box...replug....
I finally caught onto a path to modify the IP address of the cam while it was part of the NVR enviornment that allowed me to choose to modify the IP of a selected device in the Device search table.
Here I chose the other NVR just for an example....to show you how this looks on screen.
when you modify the IP choose something in the LAN scheme so that you can surf to it with a browser after.
DHCP_Static.jpg

1667604909672.png