Trouble sorting out my setup, please help!

Reaction score
Hello, I've been having tons of issues with trespassing from neighbors and got serious about a surveillance system. I know HikVision are nice cameras but I am put off by the fact you can't actually buy them with a warranty as an end user. I have looked into Amcrest, Swann, and Lorex. I would like to set up 2 cameras to start with, but of course have the option to upgrade later. I am having a lot of trouble finding a NVR to go with the IP cameras. I was thinking about these Amcrest bullet cameras...

https://www.amazon.com/2-Pack-Amcrest-Outdoor-Bullet-Security/dp/B01F7WPP78/ref=sr_1_1?m=AM1AKWRN957PC&s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1472106335&sr=1-1&keywords=surveillance+camera&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_three_browse-bin:6012218011,p_89:Amcrest,p_6:AM1AKWRN957PC

I don't really want to purchase a NVR since I can't find any good ratings for systems and Amcrest seems to be out of stock of their own product. Would it be possible to run the two cameras to a PoE switch --> Verizon Router --> Computer with Purple HD for recording? I pretty much leave my computer on 24/7 anyways so this won't be a problem. The only thing I'm set on is that I would like IP cameras with PoE that are 1080p. I would appreciate any help or advice on if this would be possible.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Amcrest isn't known for great customer service.

If you're looking for 2 cameras, consider messaging @milkisbad and asking him about the LTS cameras he sells. They are basically HikVision and will come with a warranty depending on what you purchase. Or Nelly Security offers them with warranty service as well I believe. The LTS and Nelly Cams are going to be right around the same price as those Amcrests too so there isn't much gain since the only warrant you have from Amazon is 30 days.

What kind of processor are you working with for that PC? You shouldn't have any problem recording with that setup but the processor plays a big piece there and can jolt your CPU up and bog the regular system down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OP is a troll, calling @Q2U a complete clown for example. Maybe they should think about not trolling those with knowledge on the subject they want before then posting for help.

After what you said to Q, I don't want to help you and I'm sure others will feel the same.

Enjoy your Amcrest bullet camera rubbish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Amcrest isn't known for great customer service.

If you're looking for 2 cameras, consider messaging @milkisbad and asking him about the LTS cameras he sells. They are basically HikVision and will come with a warranty depending on what you purchase. Or Nelly Security offers them with warranty service as well I believe. The LTS and Nelly Cams are going to be right around the same price as those Amcrests too so there isn't much gain since the only warrant you have from Amazon is 30 days.

What kind of processor are you working with for that PC? You shouldn't have any problem recording with that setup but the processor plays a big piece there and can jolt your CPU up and bog the regular system down.
I'm not interested in buying from private dealers, or getting unsupported dahua or hikvision. I have a i5-3550 which hopefully should handle any of the tasks. I know that Amcrest might not have the best customer support but at least I do have support and not some gray market item. I ended up going with this..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BN1FDUG/ref=twister_B01BX1KUE0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Ahhh yes I recall this one now....
Recall this one? This was in the past day. I haven't posted on this forum in probably 8 months.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
OP is a troll, calling @Q2U a complete clown for example. Maybe they should think about not trolling those with knowledge on the subject they want before then posting for help.

After what you said to Q, I don't want to help you and I'm sure others will feel the same.

Enjoy your Amcrest bullet camera rubbish.
The guy was a clown. Giving a self-righteous rant to someone trying to ask questions instead of simply not responding. You have absolutely no idea what the word troll means, huh? Oh boo hoo! You don't want to help me, but you'll leave a passive-aggressive comment to get your rocks off, right? Get a life already, clown.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Professional Grade hardware manufacturers dont support end users.. boo hoo, Shitty Consumer Level hardware does support end users.. yay..

anyone got a knife I can borrow? I needa cut my nose off to spite my face..

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you even know what passive-aggressive means?

Go away you troll. No-one wants to help idiots like you.