Trouble setting up Dahua smtp server

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just making some tripwires and wanting e-mail alerts but the Dahua e-mail setup will not accept either my gmail nor xfinity settings... says "sender format error"?? Same exact information I use everywhere else, including in the Blue Iris e-mail server. What am I missing?

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, small correction. The camera does let me save the smtp configurations. It just won't send e-mails of any sort. The test function fails every time. LOL... Even my 15 year old Axis and every cheap FOSCAM could easily send email. I guess I'll have to abandon the AI for now and set up my old BI motion detect zones and such.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just made a Yahoo e-mail account and that doesn't work, either. Seriously, as I the only one here having this issue?

awonson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are. You blocking any ports out from the camera? I opened port 587 outbound for the email and it works.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nope, not blocking anything. Neither 587 nor 465 works. My BI setup has been using Gmail on 465 for years and I get multiple e-mails per day.

Are. You blocking any ports out from the camera? I opened port 587 outbound for the email and it works.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What does your network look like, a drawing would help. Does the camera have direct access to the router via a switch. Not through the NVR or the second NIC on BI, or on a separate lan from the router. Is the camera blocked in the router to prevent internet access, parental controls .

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Network isn't complicated or anything special. Dahua connected directly to a Linkys POE + switch which is connected to Linksys ACM 3000 router, Netgear DOCSIS 3 modem to Comcast, just like my HIKs and a couple of Amcrests. I also have a few wifi cams running. I have had all of these send e-mail alerts in the past but have since switched all onto BI. I must have had at least 15 cams over the years all set up like this and they all sent test emails first try. I want to have the Dahua do this onboard to be able to use the AI features and to take some load off my BI PC. I can sit and have BI send successful test e-mails (and real ones) all day long with the same smtp settings.

What does your network look like, a drawing would help. Does the camera have direct access to the router via a switch. Not through the NVR or the second NIC on BI, or on a separate lan from the router. Is the camera blocked in the router to prevent internet access, parental controls .

Last edited:

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, there is something fishy going on for sure... My current cam fleet is the new outdoor POE Dahua, an outdoor HIK POE, an indoor Amcrest POE and 2 Amcrest wifis. I went into all of them except the HIK and none of the Amcrests or the Dahua can send test e-mails. It simply fails. I am unable to test the HIK because I am having trouble getting into the interface. For some reason the password I have in the file I maintain isn't working and the recovery also isn't working. Makes no sense... but yet another issue to suss out sometime. I suspect that cam needs to be powered down and back up.

So either something in my Linksys router is blocking the outgoing e-mails but why and how??? No parental controls and just using the default firewall settings. And is it just Dahua/Amcrest or all cams? I can't answer that because all I can test right now are Dahua/Amcrests. I mean what in my router could be blocking simple smtp servers?? I am open to any ideas. With BI I haven't used native cam alerts in my personal system in awhile but have definitely done so many times in the past with no issues... but that was maybe a router or 2 ago.

I have another router in the box, a TP-Link Archer 4000, IIRC. maybe I'll deploy that next week and see if it helps.

simby

n3wb
Reaction score
Tried turning on Less secure app access in google account security settings? Also try SSL instead of TLS. I think SSL port is 465 though.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Google has been set up on less secure app for years. TLS was the default and when that didn't work I also tried SSL. I tried both protocols on both ports. It has to be something with my router blocking this stuff for some reason. But why just from these cams?

Tried turning on Less secure app access in google account security settings? Also try SSL instead of TLS. I think SSL port is 465 though.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have another router in the box, a TP-Link Archer 4000, IIRC. maybe I'll deploy that next week and see if it helps.
I would.
I know of a CenturyLink combo DSL modem/wireless router (a Westell, IIRC) at a local county gov't. office that would begin to block outgoing e-mails every few months. It had been working OK for the first couple of years. A power-cycle OFF/ON would cure for a few more months. CenturyLink (or rather, CenturyUNLink) finally replaced it after numerous complaints from the county.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Meanwhile in spite of my network issues I did manage to get the SMTP to work on the Dahua. It seems like I was testing the e-mail send before I actually "added" the recipient address. I thought it would test in the entry window. But it appears not. And so far so good. I have had 2 false alarms from my BI motion alert configuration due to tree shadows and the Dahua IVS has so far ignored that motion. I have it set for human detect crossing a couple of tripwires approaching the house. Lots of sharp shadows today and if the wind blows a bit there will be many more tests.

Raylo32

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The count is up to 10 false alarms on shadows from the zoned BI setup, zero from the Dahua. And I walked the scene to make sure the Dahua IVS was working and it said I was a human... and sent me a picture. ;-)

This is an example of the scene:

20210420_114125.png

Last edited: