Trouble making video files

Reaction score
Hi Andy,

I have your NVR5216-16P-4KS2E and one IPC-T5442T-ZE Black purchased from your amazon.ca storefront earlier this year. NVR came with "System Version 4.002.0000000.4.R build date 2022-06-08". Camera came with "System Version 2.820.15OG004.0.R,2021-07-29".

I'm having two issues that I can't seem to solve. First one probably has a simple solution: I can't find a way to save video clips from the web user interface to my computer. The scissor clipping tool just isn't there at all. My personal computer is a Macbook and I'm using Chrome. Is my computer/browser the problem or is there a setting somewhere thats hiding from me?

Second issue is harder to deal with: I'm getting a lot of choppy lag in the footage, lots of missed frames, in both the live view and the playback of footage via "Search", from the web interface and when viewing directly on the NVR. I have a single brand new 10TB WD Purple installed. I only have this one camera connected so I don't know how it could possibly be an overloaded processor or anything else that should be happening when using such a fine camera and NVR at low capacity. Any ideas here, how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
First probleem has most probably indeed to do with your browser, use Internet Explorer, Pale Moon or Chrome/Edge with IE tab.

Second problem sounds more like a problem between the camera and NVR. What cable do you use? Copper or CCA? Its length? Have you tested both the terminations? Could you try with a known good (premade) cable of just a few feet?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
^^^^^^
Both of the replies above are the solution to your problems.

#1 is a browser issue. But even with using IE, you would be better served by using SmartPSS for viewing live, playback, and downloading footage

#2 is likely caused (and is common) by some piece of equipment (your computer, a switch, router, or cabling in the system) not being able to handle the streaming of the video via web browser. Once you install SmartPSS see if downloaded/saved clips exhibit the problem

Reaction score
Did you use pure solid copper ethernet cable of 24awg gauge and not copper clad aluminum?
If the camera is outdoors, was the connection properly water proofed?
I overlooked the need for solid copper cable. I am using a premade 25ft patch cable from Startech, Startech Snagless CAT5e Patch Cable, Grey, 25ft. - Cat 5e Network Cables - Memory Express Inc.. Its 24awg copper but I'm pretty sure its only stranded. Waterproofing the connection could be my problem too. Its an outdoor connection with some protection from a soffit. Since I'm having issues and you brought up waterproofing, thats a likely source of my problem as I did basically nothing. Would the connection be working almost perfectly aside from some dropped frames? I'm only using 12FPS and the footage is almost perfect aside from the image skipping/freezing for <0.5s every few seconds.

I can rule out my router, switch, network etc as I'm having the issue when playing back footage directly from the NVR on the connected monitor. The NVR is connected to my LAN, but through a UDM with appropriate VLANs and firewall rules to block traffic to/from the NVR and Camera.

I didn't do a good enough job waterproofing; here's my lame excuse: I started off bench testing and have since moved to temporary installing this camera under a narrow soffit while I sort out whether these cameras/NVR are the direction I want to fully buy into (and purchase 2, 3, or maybe 15 more cameras). Right now Blue Iris, Axis and Unifi are all on the table.