trigger by object crossing zones A>B problem

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I duplicated a camera in BI to create a "package delivery alert" and set up only two zones (A & B) and then set it to trigger when the object crosses from A>B but it isn't working at all. I have both zones touching each other but not overlapping. I've checked all the settings a half a dozen times and can't seem to figure out what I'm missing. Can someone please help me with this? Thanks...

BI_zones1.PNG BI_zones2.PNG BI_zones3.PNG

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
try overlapping them, your problem likely exists because the column is blocking the area where the zones meet and therefore there is never any motion detected crossing the zones.

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Learn something new every day. So if someone were to jump over the hedge between the column and the camera it would trigger but since the column never lets the camera actually see the crossing if it occurs on the walk it won't trigger. I suggest possibly moving the zone to be a little bit beyond the column on either side with the "little bit" being more pixels than the detection limit.

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman and Sammy2. Yep, that was the problem. I had never used that function before so I assumed that an object just had to be anywhere within zone A and then anywhere within zone B in order for the feature to work, but alas that was not the case. It makes sense though, now that I know how it works. I had to tweak the zones so that they are both to the right of the column in order for it to work. And because the zones are so narrow and our UPS guy is so fast at dropping off packages, I had to push the sensitivity way up to get it to respond. Here are the settings that worked.

BI_zones5.PNG BI_zones6.PNG

Now if I can just figure out how to get this camera to enable automatically on the day that I receive the alert from UPS that a package will be delivered, I'll be a happy camper! Ha!

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just have them record 24 hours a day and then delete the recordings after a couple of days. If something happens that you need to know about you can flag the recording or even go in and move it to another folder so it doesn't get wiped.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just have them record 24 hours a day and then delete the recordings after a couple of days. If something happens that you need to know about you can flag the recording or even go in and move it to another folder so it doesn't get wiped.
he is using this camera to trigger alerts only...

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh, wait, you want a motion alert only on the days a delivery is scheduled. I'm sure there's a way using macros in BI but incorporating that is beyond my skills.

piconut

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Oh, wait, you want a motion alert only on the days a delivery is scheduled. I'm sure there's a way using macros in BI but incorporating that is beyond my skills.
I'm not a programmer so I know that I probably can't figure it out. Even if I had the skills to write a macro in Blue Iris, the real trick would be that the UPS alerts are received as a text message on my phone but how would Blue Iris "know" what my phone receives?