Tried some boxed system but I think I need to build my own

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
On a real computer, not your phone study the > cliff notes.
I have reviewed two nvrs, but I've been using BI for almost two years now, and Blue Iris is head and shoulders above any nvr hands down.
The learning curve is the same, Blue Iris motion detection and it's Mobile app are the cats meow. ;)
Purchase a refurbed Dell optiplex with a I7-4750 from Ebay, you then have a very small and energy efficient system.
Properly set up, it is every bit as reliable as is any NVR.
Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
If no audio is needed, then this: Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk
https://www.amazon.com/IPCamPower-Network-Additional-Designed-Cameras/dp/B07BVVWYHN/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1544488682&sr=8-4&keywords=ipcampower+poe+switch
Good info...thank you. I read parts of the cliff notes a few months ago...really good info but I need to reread sections that I skimmed through. My biggest concern for the BI route was that I'd become a security camera IT professional as a part time hobby which I'm capable of but wanted to avoid plus concerns about having a "custom built" system that may (or may not) require more baby sitting. It's just the unknown that I have concerns about. Having played with a couple of boxed NVR systems was the only real way of getting the feet wet to understand limitations. Fortunately, it was no risk since they have 90-day return policy. I'm sure that one way or another I'd end up taking the path of BI but wasn't sure if now was that time. But, I think I'll go ahead and purchase the BI license while it's on sale as eventually I'd need that piece for a robust system. Having read more commentary of NVR systems I'm learning more and more about limitations that make me uneasy. Thanks again!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Just as a data point, I've been running BI on a refurbished SFF business i5-6500 system (~$300 last May), windows 10 pro, SSD system drive plus 6 TB of WD purple drives, on a UPS with no failures yet. Power went off long enough to deplete the UPS once, but since I set the computer to power on on restoration of power, BI came back with no fuss.

I had started with a hikvision NVR (will sell it to you, cheap...) But felt limited so bought BI and computer. Took a week or so to get dialed in all the way, learning interface etc..

Running 9 cams at 10 FPS, typically 25-30% CPU load with direct to disk recording.

My only concern about PCs is Windows 10 updates; I shut off updates and do monthly supervised updates to avoid surprises.

Works well for me. This forum is the best thing going for camera folk, so read up and enjoy. The wiki rocks by the way.

Good luck, read up, and enjoy the ride.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Just as a data point, I've been running BI on a refurbished SFF business i5-6500 system (~$300 last May), windows 10 pro, SSD system drive plus 6 TB of WD purple drives, on a UPS with no failures yet. Power went off long enough to deplete the UPS once, but since I set the computer to power on on restoration of power, BI came back with no fuss.

I had started with a hikvision NVR (will sell it to you, cheap...) But felt limited so bought BI and computer. Took a week or so to get dialed in all the way, learning interface etc..

Running 9 cams at 10 FPS, typically 25-30% CPU load with direct to disk recording.

My only concern about PCs is Windows 10 updates; I shut off updates and do monthly supervised updates to avoid surprises.

Works well for me. This forum is the best thing going for camera folk, so read up and enjoy. The wiki rocks by the way.

Good luck, read up, and enjoy the ride.

That's good info. Thanks! Curious to know what kind of POE switch you ended up with...looks to have over 8 ports.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
BVTech 8 ports from Amazon plus an injector for camera 9. Soon will buy second BVTech 8 ports one (9 really, including uplink) since I plan on adding more cams.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey y'all...I thought I'd give a "one month later" update. So, some of you know I had evaluated two different systems from Sam's Club. One was a LaView system and the other a Lorex system. Both were evaluated for 90 days each but in the end returned both systems as "insufficient" and "pain-in-the-ass". I decide to go the route of Blue Iris and this is what I ended up with so far:

• Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF, i7-6700, 128GB M.2 SSD, 12MB SDRAM, Windows 10 Pro
  • 6TB WD Purple HDD
  • Blue Iris installed
  • 10 port switch 802.3af/at (8 port POE gigabit, 2 port gigabit uplink)
  • IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras from Dandy Andy on the way
When the cams get here I'll be ready to plug and chug!

Last edited:

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
May I ask what you paid for the computer? Nice system by the way!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
$355 delivered

More than I wanted to pay. No warranty left but it's a "new, old-stock". Basically an unused machine that was purchased/shipped but never put into service....not a speck of dust inside or out, no dents, scratches or even fingerprints. Came with the Dell keyboard and mouse which will not be used/needed since I'll use TeamViewer. And for $7 I added a PCIe gigabit NIC card for the connection to the network whereas the onboard NIC will connect to the POE switch.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Well done. I would like one of those at that price for other purposes...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Check your local craigslist so you can inspect in person...doubtful I'd buy on craiglist from another city where you had to trust they'd ship to you. Seems like everytime I looked at eBay they were asking $500+ for a dented/scratched up system which I'm sure probably work fine. I know some of the systems they call "manufactured/user refurbished" are nothing more that used systems that were turned on to make sure they started up but are full of fur balls and dust.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey y'all...I thought I'd give a "one month later" update. So, some of you know I had evaluated two different systems from Sam's Club. One was a LaView system and the other a Lorex system. Both were evaluated for 90 days each but in the end returned both systems as "insufficient" and "pain-in-the-ass". I decide to go the route of Blue Iris and this is what I ended up with so far:

• 6TB WD Purple HDD
  • Blue Iris installed
  • 10 port switch 802.3af/at (8 port POE gigabit, 2 port gigabit uplink)
  • IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras from Dandy Andy on the way
When the cams get here I'll be ready to plug and chug!
You will be very happy that you did!:headbang:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Check your local craigslist so you can inspect in person...doubtful I'd buy on craiglist from another city where you had to trust they'd ship to you. Seems like everytime I looked at eBay they were asking $500+ for a dented/scratched up system which I'm sure probably work fine. I know some of the systems they call "manufactured/user refurbished" are nothing more that used systems that were turned on to make sure they started up but are full of fur balls and dust.
I recently scored a Dell Optiplex 5050 SFF, 8gb ram, I7-7700 with a little over 2 years of dell warranty left. Win10Pro, Arrived looking un-used inside and out for $389 delivered from Ebay.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I recently scored a Dell Optiplex 5050 SFF, 8gb ram, I7-7700 with a little over 2 years of dell warranty left. Win10Pro, Arrived looking un-used inside and out for $389 delivered from Ebay.
Excellent deal! Lucky you!

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Dandy Andy sure got those cameras to me fast. From PayPal to delivery at my door step 3 1/2 days....Hong Kong to Florida. Wow!

Now it's time to figure out how to get these cameras going on Blue Iris.