TIA/EIA 568-C.2 vs TIA/EIA 568-B.2

MarkusAgustus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

I purchased a roll of cable that was rated in the advertisement as TIA/EIA 568-C.2. Here's the link...

The ad goes to great lengths to highlight compliance with the C.2 standard but the cable I received has TIA/EIA 568-B.2 stamped on it. I was going to use the cable for some cameras outside my house. Is this an issue big enough that I should be concerned about or return it?

Martin

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I purchased a roll of cable that was rated in the advertisement as TIA/EIA 568-C.2. Here's the link...

The ad goes to great lengths to highlight compliance with the C.2 standard but the cable I received has TIA/EIA 568-B.2 stamped on it. I was going to use the cable for some cameras outside my house. Is this an issue big enough that I should be concerned about or return it?

Martin

Thanks @MarkusAgustus

I'm actually not certain of the differences:

TIA/EIA 568-B.2 vs TIA/EIA 568-C.2

Hopefully another member knows more ..

Otherwise, the specs look good to me for what I look for.

1651982599623.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

MarkusAgustus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, the specs in the ad look good. All I have been able to determine is the A.2 and B.2 standard is about wire layout but that C.2 adds a lot more in terms of the specifications. Which is why I'm asking. They mention the C.2 standard several times in the ad but what I received has B.2 stamped on the cable. Why wouldn't they stamp C.2 on the cable? I don't know if it matters much. I was going to run the cable tomorrow but now I'm not sure if I'm returning it...

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
It's a little confusing since the 568-A/B/C/D designation is used for various purposes. TIA/EIA 568 is the overall cabling standard. A/B/C/D are the various revisions to the standard over the years (D the latest). It's not that A.2/B.2 are about the wire order; rather, it's that they were established under the broader 568 standards at the time and took that naming. The standard includes a lot more than just the connection but at a practical level you see it most often referencing the connector order. Most all Cat5e/6 cable that I've seen will be marked as B. I suppose because they were established under B at that time. I've not run 6A to know how that's marked. It may be marked C since 6A was added under the later standard. C incorporates whatever it didn't change for A and B so I suppose it's correct to say that it's compliant with C.2. Hopefully that makes sense.

Bottom line, assuming that everything else in the ad is correct (gauge, solid copper, UV resistance, etc.), it should be fine.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^ regarding these:
  • Solid (not stranded) copper
  • No CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
  • Jacket properly rated for application purpose (outdoors, UV-resistant, moisture, etc.)
The only thing in the reviews that stands out is several folks report issues with the thick jacket on the individual conductors which makes using pass-thru RJ-45's VERY difficult. I don't place a lot of faith in reviews because some of the people complaining are likely those that couldn't pour pee out of a boot even if the instructions were written on the heel, you know? I'll wager if you purchase the CORRECT connectors for the cable (CAT-6, for 23 AWG) from a reputable manufacturer you'll have no issues.

MarkusAgustus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
At first Amazon told me I had a choice to return it. However, at 3:00AM this morning I received an email with more information. Given this I'll use the cable. The jacket is thicker than the CMR cable I already had but even with that I was able to put a connector on without much extra effort. The runs I have planned will have some sun exposure so the UV rating & moisture is really what I was after. Here is the response I received. I'm satisfied.

Message from seller celertec:

Hello Martin,

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

TIA/EIA 568-C.2 is the latest standard for Balanced Twisted-Pair Telecommunications Cabling and Components Standard issued by Telecommunications Industry Association(TIA). It is a supplementary content to TIA / EIA 568 B.2 standard to make it more integrity and normalization. This standard is nothing related to the rating of the cable, is about performance and test requirements for copper cables.

The producer confirmed with us that all ethernet cable products are manufactured and tested to meet ANSI TIA/EIA 568-C.2 standards. All our data cables have been tested with a Fluke DSX-8000 Versiv CableAnalyzer which are able to support the standard of Category 3, 4, 5, 5e, 6, 6A, 8 per ANSI/TIA-568 C.2. We will inform the producer to update this information on the cable marking.

Attached I am also sending a fluke test report for your well reference.

Thanks again for providing us with this valuable information.

For further assistance, please contact us.

Celertec Support Team

Last edited: