teaches me to lock my truck

woolfman72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Happened today shortly after i got home. My neighbor happened to see him through a window and confronted him. He was long gone by the time the cops got here.

woolfman72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why are you blocking the sidewalk?
because my wife will be home and the driveway is not wide enough for us to both pull up and her to get out of the suv . My camaro got a nice big dent in the side of it from one of my kids getting out of the suv and hitting it. I am not going to have that happen with the truck.

Also on a side note the Sheriff's office just came back by and let me know they caught him and had him on better charges than what they might have been able to charge him with in the video.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you need to reframe this camera so you have no roof/gutter in view, thats a complete waste of pixels..

also 2.8mm is a terrible lens to use on a driveway.. at night that video would have been entirely useless.. you need a 6mm minimum

woolfman72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you need to reframe this camera so you have no roof/gutter in view, thats a complete waste of pixels..

also 2.8mm is a terrible lens to use on a driveway.. at night that video would have been entirely useless.. you need a 6mm minimum
Yes i totally agree with you . I have been looking around for a decent camera to put up there and that is why i have not re-positioned it. I was going to get one of the huisuns but then they all started crapping out. So i have just been looking around.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
because my wife will be home and the driveway is not wide enough for us to both pull up and her to get out of the suv . My camaro got a nice big dent in the side of it from one of my kids getting out of the suv and hitting it. I am not going to have that happen with the truck.

Also on a side note the Sheriff's office just came back by and let me know they caught him and had him on better charges than what they might have been able to charge him with in the video.
Then why not park on the street and wait until wife is back? I am generally OK if someone blocks partially but this is considered an asshole parking in my neighborhood

woolfman72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Then why not park on the street and wait until wife is back? I am generally OK if someone blocks partially but this is considered an asshole parking in my neighborhood
HOA rules say i am not allowed to park in the street. Also ill be in bed by the time my wife gets home tonight. Since she does not get home till around 11pm and i have to be up early in the morning or also there are days where she is up at 4am and out of the house by the time i get up. She is a retail manager and does not have a set schedule. One day she could open next day she could close. It is what it is.

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
nice truck...I would not live in the HOA area. pay someone to kick your ass. can't do whatever you want to your house.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
+1 for 4mm there instead of 2.8mm. You have no chance of making their face out, especially if it's dark.

Is the bottom bit the roof you are videoing? If so then tilt the camera up to avoid that. You'll get a better picture during the night. But ideally you need more zoom too!

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
HOA rules say i am not allowed to park in the street. Also ill be in bed by the time my wife gets home tonight. Since she does not get home till around 11pm and i have to be up early in the morning or also there are days where she is up at 4am and out of the house by the time i get up. She is a retail manager and does not have a set schedule. One day she could open next day she could close. It is what it is.
Where I live it's illegal to block the sidewalk although it rarely gets enforced unless someone complains. However, if a child gets hit by a car because you forced them into the street by blocking the sidewalk you can and probably will get sued. Just something to think about. Also, check your state laws. Unless you live in a gated community where the HOA maintains the roads, they can't tell you what you can or can't do on a public street. The subdivision next to mine prohibited street parking in their CCR's. One of their residents sued, it went to court and the HOA lost.

Suburban28

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Everytime I read one of your posts I learn something. 6mm for the driveway. Check.

AlpineWatch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Use both the 2.8mm and something longer. It'll be helpful to see what's going on before they get into your driveway too.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
driveways and parking areas are a prime place to use external IR or Visible Lighting and disable the onboard IR.. reflectors on cars/plates are retro-reflective.. meaning if you move the source of light just a few degrees away from the camera then you dont end up with reflectors flaring up.. depending on distance/zoom a foot or so is usually enough.. If your adding light play with it and get it as close as you can with a little margin of error before the flare up.. too far away from the camera and you get alot of shadows cast.. just a little shadow can bring out details in the face, to much will obscure detail.

reflectors are bad for autoexposure at night, the more pixels you wash out with reflectors on one end the darker some other pixels will be to compensate.. so makes some areas nosier than they normally would be.

attached example of my road parking camera with good external lighting, with onboard IR on and off.. the external lighting is just a few feet away from the camera and yet it does not cause reflector flare.. I'll be adding an external IR spotlight to this and leaving the onboard IR disabled.. so I'll end up with a more detailed image at night w/no lens flare regardless where or how anyone parks.. if I am lucky I might be able to read plates stopped at that intersection at night while retaining normal visibility.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
driveways and parking areas are a prime place to use external IR or Visible Lighting and disable the onboard IR.. reflectors on cars/plates are retro-reflective.. meaning if you move the source of light just a few degrees away from the camera then you dont end up with reflectors flaring up.. depending on distance/zoom a foot or so is usually enough.. If your adding light play with it and get it as close as you can with a little margin of error before the flare up.. too far away from the camera and you get alot of shadows cast.. just a little shadow can bring out details in the face, to much will obscure detail.

reflectors are bad for autoexposure at night, the more pixels you wash out with reflectors on one end the darker some other pixels will be to compensate.. so makes some areas nosier than they normally would be.

attached example of my road parking camera with good external lighting, with onboard IR on and off.. the external lighting is just a few feet away from the camera and yet it does not cause reflector flare.. I'll be adding an external IR spotlight to this and leaving the onboard IR disabled.. so I'll end up with a more detailed image at night w/no lens flare regardless where or how anyone parks.. if I am lucky I might be able to read plates stopped at that intersection at night while retaining normal visibility.
Is this from the Mini Black Face or a different one?