Surge Protector for NVR?

Mrrr0809

n3wb
Reaction score
I’ve tried scrolling through the wiki but can seem to find the answer- is a surge protector beneficial for an NVR with PoE cameras? The answer seems to be an obvious yes, but I’d like to hear from the experts.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use a non switching UPS to protect you equipment.
Surge protectors are next to useless. Try collecting on the insurance, when they fail.
I lost all of my equipment when lighting hit close to my house, all equipment that had a wire going into it other than a power cord (ethernet, alarm wires, antenna wire, hdmi)

JJStats

n3wb
Reaction score
I would say UPS. Plus, when would you know if a surge protector needs to be replaced once its done its job? I've been looking into the Tripp Lite.

JJStats

n3wb
Reaction score
I would say UPS. Plus, when would you know if a surge protector needs to be replaced once its done its job? I've been looking into the Tripp Lite.
Old school, but I normally disconnect all the connections to the wall outlet. Besides that, I use cyberpower or APC UPS.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Get a UPS (uninterruptable power supply).
They have some surge protection (good quality APC/EATON ones) and provide backup power when needed.

Example is my own UPS. Occasional brown outs in my area. Brown outs is when the voltage spikes up/down rapidly, I can hear appliances in the house sound like they're arcing internally. The UPS judges that the power is unstable and flicks to battery.

Then there's surge protection. It's something for most spikes but not much.
A lot of surge protectors are just a bunch of capacitors in parallel to the appliance. Idea is the capacitors absorb most of the energy. They do a reasonable job for spikes but not lighting strikes.

I lost all of my equipment when lighting hit close to my house, all equipment that had a wire going into it other than a power cord (ethernet, alarm wires, antenna wire, hdmi)
I might suggest also checking where your camera's POE cables run. Such as between a house/shed, very unlikely to get hit but if lighting strikes an overhead cable it will cause major damage.
You can also spend a small amount on POE surge/lighting arrestors.

Might also be an idea to check where you TV antenna/satellite cables are, in case they get struck your other devices are separated.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lighting goes from the ground into the ground wires and through the house. It kill the trees near the house.

An APC ups is a switching UPS. lighting is faster than the switch. A switching UPS is ok for when a line transformer pops, but not for lighting. I have over $40,000 of electric equipment, I use an always on sine wave UPS for the most expensive equipment. An APC switching UPS is ok for a few hundred dollars worth of cameras, POE switches and PCs.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve tried scrolling through the wiki but can seem to find the answer- is a surge protector beneficial for an NVR with PoE cameras? The answer seems to be an obvious yes, but I’d like to hear from the experts.
The use of a SPD in a layered manner is not only recommended by major hardware vendors who obviously have a stake in the sale of the same but by the electrical standards.

Keep in mind none of that matters if the most important portion of surge protection is NOT in place and sound. That is, a direct and low resistance (below 25 ohms) to Earth ground.

Every SPD is referenced and uses the Earth ground in the homes electrical system to provide said fault protection.

The resistance seen is directly impacted by the type of soil (ground) and how much moisture it holds / retains. When both are not adequate bonding multiple ground rods in parallel allows a lower resistance should it be required.

Once Earth ground has been validated (tested & measured) to provide low resistance. You can now build upon that foundation by installing one or all SPD’s Types from 1 ~ 4.

In some regions the POCO offers a Type 1 for the main service entrance. If not a person can have the same installed if allowed. Having this in place assures the main feed protects all down stream systems from the most high voltage surges & spikes.

From there a Type 2 is installed at the service panel. Which offers (ideally) a lower let through voltage (clamping) to the next line which is the Type 3. Which are any POU (Point Of Use) at the outlets. This can be a outlet, power strip, AVR, UPS, combination of the same.

A Type 4 is normally seen in commercial & enterprise environments which are inserted in line prior to a device. But can be used in a residential setting if required like on a washer, dryer, furnace, HVAC, dishwasher, etc.

Every SPD Type exists because they offer a solution to protect and offer a level of protection in a defined region. All of this matters not when induced EMF comes the way of a over head lightning strike!

Only shielding can offer (limited) protection when such conditions exist. At the end of the day it’s common sense and good insurance to help offset the dangers that exist on the line!

Lastly, turning off breakers and unplugging less used equipment is cheap, simple, and effective which anyone can use and do! The only problem is there is no consistent way to complete this task when asleep, away, forgot!

Applying all of these basic principles will be the difference between nothing, some, all things damaged.

At the end of the day none of the above will address a direct lightning strike to a home, ground, main feed.

This is why the proper amount of insurance must be in place and enforce to let you recover those losses! Remember in battle Two is one - One is none