Support question

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guys

I'm on 5.3.3.2 from Oct 2020 and let my support lapse (10 cameras on the network). On blue iris website, I see a few options for support - does anybody know the difference between the 1st and 3rd option? Can I purchase any of them given my support has lapsed 5 months ago?

1619618740959.png

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
You can purchase any of them. If you are just looking for software updates, you don't need the "priority" help that the $59.95 plan offers. That leaves the two "regular" update plans. The only difference between the two is that the cheaper one ($30) requires that you sign up for auto-renewal. This means in 12 months, the system is going to charge you another annual fee ($30) automatically. You can cancel this auto-update feature however. The more expensive plan ($35) is a one time fee and the system will not auto charge you in the future. The "features" that these two plans offer are exactly the same.

The fact that you have not been under a maintenance plan the last 5 months does not matter and whatever option you choose will have a true 12mo activation span. Today is 4-28-21. If you purchased the plan today, it will be valid until 4-27-22.

Last edited:

peterdevon

n3wb
Reaction score
When you refer to "software updates", does this include both interim updates e.g. 5.3.3 to 5.4.4 AND major update releases e.g. V4 to V5? In other words, is it compulsory to have a support plan in order to receive the interim updates?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
When you refer to "software updates", does this include both interim updates e.g. 5.3.3 to 5.4.4 AND major update releases e.g. V4 to V5? In other words, is it compulsory to have a support plan in order to receive the interim updates?
It is for interim updates.

Users of V4 were also able to permanently upgrade to V5 with a maintenance plan, but I imagine there is no guarantee the same thing will occur for users wishing to move from V5 to V6 release whenever it is released. Edit - this is incorrect, please see bp2008's post below for the correct information.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Major Version Upgrade Protection means you get the new major version if it is released before or during the time when your support plan is active. I'm not sure why the basic support that you get for 1 year with a new license doesn't include this. But historically I believe those who purchased a new license within 1 month of the major version release would get the upgrade for free.

1619716503338.png

peterdevon

n3wb
Reaction score
If after a year of purchasing a new version and you don't take out a support option and it is discovered that there is some kind of bug / security issue, presumably you won't get an update to address these?

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Correct. 1 year after purchasing support, if not renewed, you are no longer entitled to download/install updates without BI reverting to the 'Trial' version.
For the price, even if I am running an older version that is stable on my system, and I don't necessarily (think I) need the bug fixes/new features, I purchase yearly.

peterdevon

n3wb
Reaction score
I agree it is a not a lot of money. However, I'm finding more and more software is moving to a pay annually model and my annual outgoings are rising, compared to previous years. It used to be the case that for most software I bought, I could make the decision of when to upgrade to a new version (dependent upon e,g, how frequently I used it) but at least I would have any interim updates to address bugs, paticularly if there was some critical security flaw or the software needs to be updated to take account of changes in e.g. the operating system.

Also, this issue is not really made clear - the reality is that this software is a subscription model.

I will renew my support and I do think BI is excellent - also, the support from the forums has been brilliant, so in general I do not have any other complaints.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
It’s not really a subscription model though is it as at any point you can let your support lapse and stay with the version that last came out before your support expired and you haven’t really lost any functionality.

peterdevon

n3wb
Reaction score
...except if a bug/security issue emerges or updates to e.g. the operating system impact on functionality?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
...except if a bug/security issue emerges or updates to e.g. the operating system impact on functionality?
It is what it is, only you can decide if you are happy and comfortable with it.

I've not been using BI for that long but I don't recall a situation where I needed to do an update to fix an issue or bug as you describe. I think the constant stream of progressive development and updates have spoiled many who now want what they previously had.

Changes like the inclusion of substreams and Deepstack, these could easily have put in as a major release but the developer has allowed anybody with a valid support subscription access to these features, swings and roundabouts?

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I completely disagree that it is a subscription model!
Once you buy and register the software it is your to use forever without any additional fees.

I know of people who purchased BI version 4, installed updates here and there the first year (or in one of the cases a little longer as the 1 year limit ws not enforced by BI at that time), found a very stable build that did all they wanted, and have never updated again....one install has purchased BI5 but has no intention of installing it, and the other install will probably use version 4 until the hardware running it goes up in smoke and it is cheaper to buy new hardware than repair it (and even then may stick with 4 LOL).

BI does offer an auto-renew feature, but I also would not call that a subscription as the product continues to work unchanged if you choose not to auto-renew.

What you are wanting from BI is similar to wanting to buy MS Office 2013 and then being unhappy that upgrade and new features and bug fixes available in MS Office 2016 are not given to you for free.

I would not have serious concerns about security holes emerging in BI, especially since it is behind my firewall and pretty much nothing from outside of my LAN can access the PC without explicit permission.
As many here have suggested in other threads, when it comes to OS updates they should be disabled.

I know of very few pieces of software (and none that I can think of at a consumer price point) that offer eternal updates after an initial purchase.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree it is a not a lot of money. However, I'm finding more and more software is moving to a pay annually model and my annual outgoings are rising, compared to previous years. It used to be the case that for most software I bought, I could make the decision of when to upgrade to a new version (dependent upon e,g, how frequently I used it) but at least I would have any interim updates to address bugs, paticularly if there was some critical security flaw or the software needs to be updated to take account of changes in e.g. the operating system.

Also, this issue is not really made clear - the reality is that this software is a subscription model.

I will renew my support and I do think BI is excellent - also, the support from the forums has been brilliant, so in general I do not have any other complaints.
Or you could use a vpn to access your system remote system and block internet access.
Several very important points.
BI has the cheapest support plans in the industry.
BI is one of, if not, the cheapest VMS in the industry save for free options.
Would you prefer if the developer simply charged you $90 or 120 dollars at the outset and gave you two or three "free" years of updates?
How long do you think he should be providing free security updates?
A subscription model requires you to pay monthly/yearly or the software stops functioning. This is NOT the case with BI.
If you are strapped for cash, take a look at the free vms options.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Some things won't keep working indefinitely.

One thing that will break in older BI versions is push notifications, especially to Apple devices. Numerous Blue Iris updates have included new certificates for Apple push. This goes for any third-party integration really. A breaking change could be made to a third-party service that requires a Blue Iris update to regain compatibility.

Likewise the official mobile apps could receive updates that require a new Blue Iris version. I wouldn't be surprised if that has happened before.

Reaction score

I am happy to auto-renew every year (did so just 5 min ago) for the measly $30. Rarely do I justify "yearly" fees for this or that. But Blue Iris is worthy. Not only because of the quality of the program itself, but of how Blue Iris keeps getting updated with bug fixes, new toys (example: Deepstack, substreams in UI3, etc). I also do the monthly "donatation" to Home Assistant devs (casu nubu?) for the same reason. Oh...and IPCT+ Member, of course :) All worth it. $$$ to keep things going better and better is how I view it. In today's world, some monthly/yearly pocket change goes a long way.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I also disagree that this software is a "subscription" service. I bought BI several years ago and have been using it ever since. After my first year, my support ran out and I simply did not update BI for about a year. Only recently did I decide to renew my support again due to all the incredible advances lately (AI, true sub stream support, etc). In 12 months I will again let my support expire and decide if I want to continue or not. It all depends on the advancements of the software.

In that way, the fact that people pay a yearly fee for support means that the developers will continue to press forward. If the software gets stale, then people will stop paying the annual support fee. It keeps everyone motivated. I also think it is a much better pricing structure than other software where you pay a big upfront cost, and then get minor updates only. These developers are motivated to hold back large advancements until the next "major release" which they require users to pay another large upfront cost (even the "upgrade" fees are high) to get the new features.

The recent AI support and dual stream support are two pretty major advancements that probably would have been held back for a "major upgrade" if the developers used that type of pricing scheme. I for one am glad that they don't.

Last edited: