Suggestions for Outdoor IP Camera

Domer82

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking for a decent IP camera to install outside my house with the following features:

- Outdoor
- POE (not wireless)
- 3MP to 5MP resolution
- Day/Night
- Good motion detection implementation (easy to set regions, sensitivity adjustments, etc).
- Reasonably easy to configure for email, and storing snapshots and video clips to a NAS.
- The ability to take multiple snapshots and video clips when a trigger event (like motion detection) occurs.
- The ability to e-mail one or more snapshots when a trigger event occurs.
- Last, but not least, the ability to store standard MP4 video clips on a NAS (not an NVR, and no special video encoding like DAV).

I purchased an Amcrest camera a couple months ago and had to return it because it stored video clips in .DAV format, which could not be viewed using standard media players.

Then I purchased a Hikvision camera which worked reasonably well for a month, then the email stopped working because they only support SSL security, which is weak and obsolete so most of the major e-mail services no longer support it (they now use TLS). So that one is getting returned as well.

So, in an attempt to avoid another misfire, I'd like to ask you experts out there - Can anyone recommend a product that meets the requirements I listed above and can vouch for its quality and reliability?

Domer82

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't really want to have a PC running 24/7 to support my IP cameras. I'd prefer to just have the cameras record snapshots and video clips directly to my NAS. I have three of them doing that right now, but those were just samples given to me by an IP camera supplier in Taiwan. They work fine, but I don't have access to more of them, so I'm looking to purchase another camera or two via retail channels.

Domer82

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, I tried that - didn't work. Google officially stopped supporting SSL last week, which killed email on the camera and nothing else works. Unless/until Hikvision releases new firmware for my model that supports TLS, I'm up a creek without a paddle.

So I'm looking for a similar (better) camera to replace the Hikvision camera.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can't believe you are returning your Hikvision camera because the e-mail alerts have stopped working for GMAIL. I guess I should return my car because they recently closed a nearby road to do repairs.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I can't believe you are returning your Hikvision camera because the e-mail alerts have stopped working for GMAIL. I guess I should return my car because they recently closed a nearby road to do repairs.
What if this was a the only road that was accessible and now that it's being repaired with no indication of when it will be reopened or if it will be reopened.

Domer82

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, that's not very helpful. Getting e-mail notifications may not be important to you, but it is to me. So a better analogy would be that the air conditioning stopped working in a brand new car after 30 days and the manufacturer refuses to do anything about it. So yes, I'm returning it.

Does anyone know of am outdoor IP camera that does what I want?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, that's not very helpful. Getting e-mail notifications may not be important to you, but it is to me. So a better analogy would be that the air conditioning stopped working in a brand new car after 30 days and the manufacturer refuses to do anything about it. So yes, I'm returning it.
how is that analogy appropriate? I was unaware that Hikvision designed and operated gmail.. here is a more appropriate one, you bought a new car and 30 days later your iphone upgrades it self and will no longer talk to the car.. so you ditch the car, and not the phone.. you could try another email provider, even with a burner account only for this camera's use.. but nooo, thats unreasonable.

I wont recommend anything to you, your not the kind of person whom will be happy with anything appropriate.. convoluted is how you roll, I get it.. personally I am not into self mutilation.

Domer82

n3wb
Reaction score
Granted, it was Google who made the change, but only because SSL is a weak and obsolete security protocol. As far as I can tell, none of the major email service providers support SSL any longer, and Hikvision doesn't support TLS on the model I purchased, so I am left with no options but to find another camera.

I'm quite surprised at the level of hostility surrounding this query. I thought that this would be a more helpful community.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the camera you want does not exist, your making unreasonable demands with an obscure implementation.

all cameras have weak security, not one comes close to being the least bit up to modern security standards.. its a fact, we work with it and move on, your going to have to compromise on something or your going to get nothing but pain and misery.

i doubt your ISP's provided outbound mail servers require TLS..

Domer82

n3wb
Reaction score
So connecting IP cameras to a NAS without an NVR is obscure? Then why do so many of them support it? Ditto for e-mail notifications - if configuring your IP camera to notify you via e-mail when an event is detected is uncommon, then again, why do so many support it?

In any case, something very odd happened today - the e-mail feature suddenly started working again for no apparent reason. I didn't change anything in my system (in fact, I'm out of the country). Just as suddenly as the e-mails stopped last week, they resumed today. This only happened on my Hikvision camera - the other 3 IP cameras I have installed continued sending e-mail notifications using Gmail during that period.

So now I'm at a loss for what caused the outage or why.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No it wouldn't. I hate standing up for Hikvision because their support is rubbish and their contempt for ordinary customers is shameful, but in your analogy, the air-con is made by the car manufacturer. In the camera case it's not. Hikvision have no control over Google. You can still use e-mail alerts, just not with your GMAIL account anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

What if this was a the only road that was accessible and now that it's being repaired with no indication of when it will be reopened or if it will be reopened.
It's not the only road though is it. Gmail aren't the only e-mail provider in the world.

- - - Updated - - -

the camera you want does not exist, your making unreasonable demands with an obscure implementation.

all cameras have weak security, not one comes close to being the least bit up to modern security standards.. its a fact, we work with it and move on, your going to have to compromise on something or your going to get nothing but pain and misery.

i doubt your ISP's provided outbound mail servers require TLS..
+1 especially at this price range and the absolute need to work with Gmail.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So connecting IP cameras to a NAS without an NVR is obscure? Then why do so many of them support it? Ditto for e-mail notifications - if configuring your IP camera to notify you via e-mail when an event is detected is uncommon, then again, why do so many support it?
Yes, few have it listed as a feature but you'll find they dont really support it.. Ive yet to find a NAS saving camera that does it reliably, every one I've seen is chocked full of bugs and issues.

Sending emails when your camera detects motion outside means you get emails all fucking day long, soon you will ignore them and when someone does steal your shit you'll never react adaquately..
Cameras built in motion detection is not designed for alerts/notifications.. its pure shit.. basic motion detection was designed to do one thing: save disk space when the image is not moving.. if you want alerts/notifications out of video motion you have to use something like BlueIris that can be tuned indefinitely to reduce or completely rid your self of any false alarms.. Im sure you were told the story of the boy whom called wolf when you were growing up, its the same game with alerts/alarms.. a few false alarms will completely ruin your security.

They may be common features, but they are not commonly used.. and those that use them usually dont know any better.

fc1989

n3wb
Reaction score
Very nice regards to the use of motion detection , you are the true expert

Reaction score
No it wouldn't. I hate standing up for Hikvision because their support is rubbish and their contempt for ordinary customers is shameful, but in your analogy, the air-con is made by the car manufacturer. In the camera case it's not. Hikvision have no control over Google. You can still use e-mail alerts, just not with your GMAIL account anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not the only road though is it. Gmail aren't the only e-mail provider in the world.

- - - Updated - - -

+1 especially at this price range and the absolute need to work with Gmail.
You think car manufacturers produce their own air conditioning units for their vehicles? Let me guess, LG, GE, Samsung, and Whirlpool make their own condensers too?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You think car manufacturers produce their own air conditioning units for their vehicles? Let me guess, LG, GE, Samsung, and Whirlpool make their own condensers too?
No, but they are responsible for the product as they sold you it. It doesn't matter if they sub-contract it to Valeo or Bosch.

We are talking about things within the manufacturers control.

Reaction score
No, but they are responsible for the product as they sold you it. It doesn't matter if they sub-contract it to Valeo or Bosch.

We are talking about things within the manufacturers control.
Hahahahaha, now it makes sense why you got your feelings hurt and are following me around making passive-aggressive comments. The manufacturers do not control the quality of the parts they put into their products. Which is why refrigerators fail more often than they did 20 years ago. Your comment got disproven, deal with it by drinking some more and stop airing out your hurt feelings on the internet. Try acting like a grown man for once in your life.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you think any manufacturer gives a fuck about you once they have your money, your delusional.

My dad has a 2011 Jeep Liberty, busted AC.. you think Fiat/Chrystler give a fuck? What about the guy who played Checkov in new Star Trek? Jeep killed him, and they still dont give a fuck.