Suggestions for mini wifi outdoor camera to mount to humming bird feeder

kc8tmv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Needs to work with Blue Iris. Smaller the better. Don't want to blow a ton of money. Far off camera with zoom is NOT an option.
Feeder looks something like this: hummingbird_feeder.jpg

I can build an arm to mount camera to if necessary. Mine feeder actually has an umbrella shaped top, so I don't think mounting will be a big issue if the camera is small.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Needs to work with Blue Iris. Smaller the better. Don't want to blow a ton of money. Far off camera with zoom is NOT an option.
Feeder looks something like this: View attachment 126905

I can build an arm to mount camera to if necessary. Mine feeder actually has an umbrella shaped top, so I don't think mounting will be a big issue if the camera is small.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!
hmmm .. how do you plan to power it? via wire?

kc8tmv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Was thinking battery powered / maybe solar attachment add on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Was thinking battery powered / maybe solar attachment add on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have not seen much live view setups that are out of the box battery / solar powered and small ..

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The best photos / video you're going to get for this application would likely be a quality digital camera looking through a window or in some sort of outdoor enclosure.

If you're determined to use a security camera, one with a low F-stop, large image sensor, and high frame rate would be a good choice. Perhaps something like this mounted to the wall and a feeder a few feet a way IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED
The specs do say close focus distance of 10.2 feet, meaning closer than that could be trouble. There are a few other cameras with this sensor. I suspect you were hoping for something cheaper.

Are you hoping for high quality footage or to simple count the blurry hummingbirds?