Suggestion for new NVR

Billkater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am in the market for a rack mount NVR. I just upgraded my network. Add a UDM-pro as a router. A new 48port Unifi PoE switch. And multiple Unifi APs around my property.

Most of the cameras I have at the moment are Hikvision and Amcrest. I use a app called Ipcam viewer on my Android devices to view the cameras. The problem is that I have to open a port to each camera for the app to work.

I would like the new NVR to have a way to remote view without exposing 20 open ports to the internet. It would have to be Onvif compatible, or at least easy to access rtsp streams. And at least 16 cameras.

I would like to stay in the $200-300 range if possible without hard drives .

Suggestions?

Suggestions

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am in the market for a rack mount NVR. I just upgraded my network. Add a UDM-pro as a router. A new 48port Unifi PoE switch. And multiple Unifi APs around my property.

Most of the cameras I have at the moment are Hikvision and Amcrest. I use a app called Ipcam viewer on my Android devices to view the cameras. The problem is that I have to open a port to each camera for the app to work.

I would like the new NVR to have a way to remote view without exposing 20 open ports to the internet. It would have to be Onvif compatible, or at least easy to access rtsp streams. And at least 16 cameras.

I would like to stay in the $200-300 range if possible without hard drives .

Suggestions?

Suggestions
1 port or 20 ports makes no difference. A huge security risk. Use vpn.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
And that is why I am wanting to get away from my setup
An NVR will not resolve the issue. A vpn or similar will. You still want a recording device for the cams but that is separate and apart from the security risk of port forwarding.

Billkater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
An NVR will not resolve the issue. A vpn or similar will. You still want a recording device for the cams but that is separate and apart from the security risk of port forwarding.
Are there no NVRs that use a native app to view streams? Kinda like Nest cameras use the Google home app to view them?