Stunnel vs NGROK vs ZeroTier?

revbilly

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a handful of webcams running under BI on a suitable Windows pc. Security wasn't much of a concern because I live in a very rural area with no neighbors within wifi range, and my internet connection was very weak. I didn't feel like an inviting target. Now I have a very modest but workable 10mbps connection. I want to share one of my cameras with a friend or two. There's now motivation to implement some security for external connections.

I have a BrightSpeed modem/router/wap (Greenwave C4000LG) that I'm stuck with for my internet access, but I have full access to the settings. It has no VLAN presets. I use Dynu for my DDNS. My current six cameras are all cheap Amcrest and Foscam PT dome cameras.

I've had difficulty implementing the standard HTTPS setups on my webcams. Some of them are very old, which might be part of the problem. In any case, I read that HTTPS is not sufficient, so I'm looking at other options that I hope offer decent security, specifically Stunnel, NGROK, and ZeroTier. External connections are just me on my Android phone, and my friend on his MacBook. I might eventually want to provide access to one or two more people if it's not too complicated.

At this point, I'm leaning toward ZeroTier because it appears to be secure enough, and easy to implement, but I'd appreciate any advice before I decide.

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
ZeroTier has been super reliable for a second system that I run. Incredibly easy to setup, add/remove users, etc. It requires very little tech know-how when compared to other alternatives such as VPNs etc.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've been using ZeroTier, but not sharing with anyone else. Note that you can restrict what port (i.e. if BI Web Server is turned on and at port 81, just allow traffic on tcp/udp port 81), see link below. Also, within BI, can create users and create a "group" of camera(s), then limit each user to a particular group.