strange connection

toejam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I selected the "connections" tab in bi status and it is showing some connections I don't recognize. You can see the connections in the attached image, but, the data is:

IP: 167.248.133.53
Host: scanner-09-ch1.censys-scanner.com

Anybody have any clue who these folks are and why they would be connecting through bi?

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Better question is do you have any ports open on your router that would allow that to happen? Are you accessing your BI system from outside? If so are you using a VPN?

VPN Primer

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score

Search for Censys for more info.

But, yeah, as above. Better not to have open ports if you can avoid.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

toejam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I do have bi webserver running. Also, Synology NAS, which has ftp, and remote access.

So, dumb question: if censys has a connection to my bi system, does this mean they either have my login credentials, or they have a back door?

Last edited:

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I do have bi webserver running. Also, Synology NAS, which has ftp, and remote access.

So, dumb question: if censys has a connection to my bi system, does this mean they either have my login credentials, or they have a back door?
Unlikely. You are probably port forwarding so your BI machine is accessible from the internet. They scanned and hit your system. But it doesn’t show a user or anything so they didn’t log in. Likely a bot scanning for open systems.

Best to use a VPN and not directly expose your systems to the internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk