Status alerts

lcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I recently setup status alerts to send me an email if there are BI errors and logins. I am getting general summaries of the log such as motion detection sent to me which I am not interested in. I don't see an obvious way to remove these general statuses and only get errors and logins.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In BI's "Help" under "Administration" => "Status messages, logs and Alerts", how do you have the following configured?

BI_status-alerts.jpg

lcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is what I have. I'm using 5.5.2.5

1638452747275.png

lcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This looks like a possible bug to me sense I don't have the Info or Camera triggers checked. BTW, I access this under the Blue Iris Status screen > Log > Status Alerts

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BTW, I access this under the Blue Iris Status screen > Log > Status Alerts
Understood. And the Help file is located in the path I described or on the Help button on the screen you posted.
You're likely right about it being a bug to report, my version 5.4.7.11 seems to be OK.

lcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Understood. And the Help file is located in the path I described or on the Help button on the screen you posted.
You're likely right about it being a bug to report, my version 5.4.7.11 seems to be OK.
Yes sorry, I didn't notice you were directing me to the help file. I will see if I can contact support.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Uncheck the errors - I bet if you look at the full log .txt file, or even the BI Camera Status page, you will see a lost signal or something that will trigger the error. See if you have the little yellow triangle in your log anywhere.

Also if any of your KEY drops below 0.20 that will result in an error as well and that will not show up in the log. You would have to actually see the KEY drop below that.

lcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Uncheck the errors - I bet if you look at the full log .txt file, or even the BI Camera Status page, you will see a lost signal or something that will trigger the error. See if you have the little yellow triangle in your log anywhere.

Also if any of your KEY drops below 0.20 that will result in an error as well and that will not show up in the log. You would have to actually see the KEY drop below that.
The log looks good. Most of the emails I get are related to motion and general statuses.

Here is a slightly sanitized example of an email I got:

Clips: 24343 items, 735.0G/1.56T; D: +242.8G

12/2/2021 7:03:35 AM loginname: ::ffff:IPAddress: Login (0)
12/2/2021 2:36:18 AM Side: Email: myemail with 2 attachment/s (31)
12/2/2021 2:36:18 AM Side: MOTION_A (31)
12/2/2021 2:36:14 AM Rear: Email: myemail with 2 attachment/s (16)
12/2/2021 2:36:13 AM Rear: MOTION_A (16)
12/2/2021 2:00:15 AM Clips: DBCompact: finished (1)
12/2/2021 App: Today's sunrise: 7:39 AM, sunset: 5:32 PM (0)
12/1/2021 10:44:20 PM Action: Email: myemail with 0 attachment/s (0)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I noticed when I had the errors checked that many times the actual error was not in the email that was sent out - BI has the log that you can see within the BI userface, but if you have selected to save the full log as a .txt file, you will find more information in that and that was how I was able to track down it was something as simple as Watchdog thought it lost signal for brief second and that is what sent the status alert.

Give it a try with errors unchecked and see if the issue goes away.

lcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I noticed when I had the errors checked that many times the actual error was not in the email that was sent out - BI has the log that you can see within the BI userface, but if you have selected to save the full log as a .txt file, you will find more information in that and that was how I was able to track down it was something as simple as Watchdog thought it lost signal for brief second and that is what sent the status alert.

Give it a try with errors unchecked and see if the issue goes away.
I will give that a try although it still doesn't seem to work as expected since if there is an error then it should be sent in the email. Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think the issue is that BI has to decide on so many lines of text to send in the email - when you get the email of an error - it isn't your entire log since the beginning of time or the most recent month and it only sends out so many lines. When I look at mine, it will cut off mid line as it is like it only sends so many characters or lines of text.

Plus like I said, as long as I have been using BI, the log in BI isn't as inclusive as the full .txt log and it probably sends in email the BI log that if for some reason it didn't decide to capture the error in that log (but is in the full .txt log) then you won't see it in an email.

That doesn't make it right, but I suspect not enough people use this feature so it hasn't necessitated BI looking into further. Hopefully you sending a request can fix that!

lcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think the issue is that BI has to decide on so many lines of text to send in the email - when you get the email of an error - it isn't your entire log since the beginning of time or the most recent month and it only sends out so many lines. When I look at mine, it will cut off mid line as it is like it only sends so many characters or lines of text.

Plus like I said, as long as I have been using BI, the log in BI isn't as inclusive as the full .txt log and it probably sends in email the BI log that if for some reason it didn't decide to capture the error in that log (but is in the full .txt log) then you won't see it in an email.

That doesn't make it right, but I suspect not enough people use this feature so it hasn't necessitated BI looking into further. Hopefully you sending a request can fix that!
I understand, thanks.