Static IP WAN address

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I am having a problem. Sometime for a power failure and sometimes when my ISP drops service due to weather. When it comes back up, the WAN IP address is changing.
The LAN IP is static and doesnt change.

Michael James

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I need to set a static WAN IP address. I dont know how to do that. I can set the laptop with BI5 software to a static LAN address but not sure how to set a static WAN IP address?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^^.

DDNS is needed when your WAN IP (your public IP provided by your ISP) is not static, meaning it can change. When you are away, you and your remote device (smartphone?) won't know how to find your server. Many newer routers can be set up to report any change in that WAN IP to a DDNS service. Once set up, when you you put in a hostname (like "begnigno.noip.net") into your remote device where it says 'WAN',it will query your DDNS provider and find that latest WAN IP reported to it by your router, client program on server or by BIT (Blue Iris Tools).

If you have BIT running (Blue Iris Tools), it can work with the DDNS you set up on IPCT's DDNS service as mentioned above by @mikeynags .

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I am having a problem. Sometime for a power failure and sometimes when my ISP drops service due to weather. When it comes back up, the WAN IP address is changing.
The LAN IP is static and doesnt change.
Put the ISP modem on a backup UPS. That will cure the power cuts causing IP changes.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I used to do that, but the outages sometimes are days not hours
As others have noted, there are many free ddns services including ipct. A google search will find them. Alternatively if you are still using port forwarding you can secure your network and avoid this entire problem by using zerotier - there are several threads on the setup.